• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

2 hours ago, akonsu said:

I see two ways to include flavors: either grind the dry substance (like pepper, or bacon, or dried blossoms, whatever) very finely and mix this powder into the melted chocolate before molding it, or infuse melted pure cocoa butter following the usual infusion procedure and add this butter to the chocolate, but this would change the formulation of the chocolate, I am afraid...

Yes, a few hours in a melanger works for all the dry things I've tried so far (nuts, freeze dried fruit, kale chips, oats, caramelized sugar). Also, oil based flavors such as food grade essential oils are concentrated enough that you only need a teaspoon or two per kg of chocolate, I use orange and peppermint at christmas https://www.lorannoils.com/1-dram-size

Changing the formulation of the chocolate isn't that big a deal because there is so much variation in chocolate anyway.  If you wanted to infuse cocoa butter and add it, just use a chocolate that's lower CB to begin with, not a 35% CB couverture.  I've been working with a company who wants to produce an herbal supplement bar, they bring me their dry mix and I grind it into chocolate.  My instinct was to add a lot more CB because I was worried about the dry matter making it too thick, but since I'm using a very fluid, high fat Felchlin chocolate already, I really don't need to add much.  In contrast, another chocolatier I've worked for was using a couple formulas of Guittard that were just super thick, I added CB liberally to make the chocolate more flowing for molding and closer to the couverture I'm used to.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

I see two ways to include flavors: either grind the dry substance (like pepper, or bacon, or dried blossoms, whatever) very finely and mix this powder into the melted chocolate before molding it, or infuse melted pure cocoa butter following the usual infusion procedure and add this butter to the chocolate, but this would change the formulation of the chocolate, I am afraid...

Yes, a few hours in a melanger works for all the dry things I've tried so far (nuts, freeze dried fruit, kale chips, oats, caramelized sugar) and also oil based flavors such as food grade essential oils, I use orange and peppermint at christmas https://www.lorannoils.com/1-dram-size

Changing the formulation of the chocolate isn't that big a deal because there is so much variation in chocolate anyway.  If you wanted to infuse cocoa butter and add it, just use a chocolate that's lower CB to begin with, not a 35% CB couverture.  I've been working with a company who wants to produce an herbal supplement bar, they bring me their dry mix and I grind it into chocolate.  My instinct was to add a lot more CB because I was worried about the dry matter making it too thick, but since I'm using a very fluid, high fat Felchlin chocolate already, I really don't need to add much.  In contrast, another chocolatier I've worked for was using a couple formulas of Guittard that were just super thick, I added CB liberally to make the chocolate more flowing for molding and closer to the couverture I'm used to.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

Yes, a few hours in a melanger works for all the dry things I've tried so far and also oil based flavors such as food grade essential oils, I use orange and peppermint at christmas https://www.lorannoils.com/1-dram-size

Changing the formulation of the chocolate isn't that big a deal because there is so much variation in chocolate anyway.  If you wanted to infuse cocoa butter and add it, just use a chocolate that's lower CB to begin with, not a 35% CB couverture.  I've been working with a company who wants to produce an herbal supplement bar, they bring me their dry mix and I grind it into chocolate.  My instinct was to add a lot more CB because I was worried about the dry matter making it too thick, but since I'm using a very fluid, high fat Felchlin chocolate already, I really don't need to add much.  In contrast, another chocolatier I've worked for was using a couple formulas of Guittard that were just super thick, I added CB liberally to make the chocolate more flowing for molding.