• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Long Can I Re-use Pickling Liquid?

gulfporter

I finally managed to nail the flavor profiles for my pickled onions after several attempts over several years.  I didn't write down the exact measurements.  It's a simple brine of cider vinegar, fresh lime juice, water, salt, sugar, halved serrano peppers and of course the red onions.  

We put pickled onions on almost every dish we make at home, from quesadillas to shrimp to green salads and as a condiment with pate' or ham on a cold plate.  When I ran out of the first batch of onions, I disposed of the serranos, then simply added more red onions and fresh serranos to the existing leftover pickling liquid.  

I've been doing this for well over a month.  Nothing looks or smells funky from batch to batch; I'd guess I'm on my 5th batch??

Is it safe to do this ad infinitum as long as there are no tell-tale signs of spoilage?  

pickled onions.jpg

Edited by gulfporter
added photo (log)
  • Like 1

I have done the same sort of thing with the fairly vinegary liquid into which I put thinly sliced cucumbers.  And wondered also.  I've not used the liquid past the third go-round.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

6 hours ago, gulfporter said:

simple brine of cider vinegar, fresh lime juice, water, salt, sugar, halved serrano peppers and of course the red onions.  

5 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Is it possible that over time the acidity of the mixture could change? That would be my biggest concern in terms of avoiding spoilage.

Wouldn't the salt and sugar  draw water out of the onions and dilute the brine?  Have you noticed an increase in liquid?  I guess if you're keeping it refrigerated, not too much should grow but maybe heat the brine to a boil for a few minutes to pasteurize just in case.

• Like 2

When I initially made the pickling liquid, I brought it to a boil.  

I found this chart about pickles.  

https://www.eatbydate.com/other/condiments/how-long-do-pickles-last/

Pickles Expiration Date

Product Pantry (Unopened) Refrigerator (Opened)
  Past Printed Date Past Printed Date
Pickles last for 1-2 Years 1-2 Years
Pickled Peppers last for 1-2 Years 1-2 Years
Pickled Corn lasts for 1-2 Years 1-2 Years
Sauerkraut (pickled cabbage) lasts 1-2 Years 1-2 Years

19 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Wouldn't the salt and sugar  draw water out of the onions and dilute the brine?  Have you noticed an increase in liquid?  I guess if you're keeping it refrigerated, not too much should grow but maybe heat the brine to a boil for a few minutes to pasteurize just in case.

Dilution would be the concern for sure.

Why not pour off  half the liquid, and replace it with an approximate equivalent mixture to the original.

And write stuff down, though the limes and serranos might be variables.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

When I made it, there was far more brine than onions.  Now after 4 or 5 additions of onions (and serranos), it's packed tighter, though all onions remain below the pickling liquid.  My plan is to top it off with more brine as time goes by.  Just curious how long this could go on.

It reminds me of the late 1970's when we lived in DC-Metro and had an influx of Vietnamese after the fall of Saigon.  Many opened low-cost eateries, especially Pho places.  I hired some Vietnamese at my office.  I asked them, where should I go for the best Pho?  It was like asking, where can I get the best burger; everyone had their favorite.  I ended up trying many.  After awhile I said I liked one the best.  A staffer who also thought this was THE place for Pho, said it was the best because they never emptied their stock pot.  They just added to it every day.  

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 4:22 PM, gulfporter said:

When I made it, there was far more brine than onions.  Now after 4 or 5 additions of onions (and serranos), it's packed tighter, though all onions remain below the pickling liquid.  My plan is to top it off with more brine as time goes by.  Just curious how long this could go on.

It reminds me of the late 1970's when we lived in DC-Metro and had an influx of Vietnamese after the fall of Saigon.  Many opened low-cost eateries, especially Pho places.  I hired some Vietnamese at my office.  I asked them, where should I go for the best Pho?  It was like asking, where can I get the best burger; everyone had their favorite.  I ended up trying many.  After awhile I said I liked one the best.  A staffer who also thought this was THE place for Pho, said it was the best because they never emptied their stock pot.  They just added to it every day.  

Not unlike Dyers' Hamburgers in Memphis, which boasts it's been frying its burgers (they deep-fry them) in the same grease for 50-plus years....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Back to the topic at hand, I keep my "jail slaw" in the fridge all summer long. When the cabbage/carrot mixture runs low, I add more to the same brine. It's never gone bad on me. I do have to top it off with more brine from time to time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com