• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing bonbons for about 6 months

eglies

Hello everyone!

Id like your advise about freezing bonbons. 

Lets say i would start to freeze my bonbons now in the summer for Christmas. Would they last for such an extended period of time?

Also using natural colouring, would the colour remain as good when i open them up after a couple of months?

Would be great to hear your thoughts and experiences on the matter :) 

Thank you!

Do you know the water activity of your ganache? If it’s low I don’t think you would have any problem. Do you have a freezer without a defrost cycle? I don’t think it will be critical in this application but it’s one more factor that can affect quality of long-term freezing.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Yes, you can freeze them.  I know a couple of large chocolatiers that do Christmas production during the slow summer months and freeze until needed.  Taste, texture and color are all unaffected if done properly.  The devil is in the details though.  Proper packaging and proper thawing is essential.  

5 hours ago, eglies said:

Thank you for your response :)

Whats the best way to store my chocolate? Vacuum sealing our boxes? Specific way of vacuuming ? Cling film? 

You might want to check this thread (which was started by you) for some information on ways to freeze chocolates (there are other threads as well). I don't think anyone can really answer your question as to how long they will last. It depends on the quality of the freezer and how it operates (long or short defrost cycles), how cold it gets, how well you pack the chocolates, what the filling is, etc. You just have to experiment. You can begin that experimentation now:  Freeze some chocolates now and test them in October or November. That may provide enough time to make them again if necessary. I froze mine in October last year (sealed in bags but not vacuum-sealed), and they were as good as new--at least as far as I could tell--at Christmas.

• Like 1

If you follow the link to the other discussion in Jim D's post above, I've posted my technique for freezing chocolates. I have used this technique for 4 months in a normal home freezer without any issues and see no reason I couldn't have left them longer.

• Like 1