• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roy Choi's 2 new TV series: "Broken Bread" & "The Chef Show"

blue_dolphin

Roy Choi, known locally for creating the Korean taco truck, Kogi, his own brick & mortar restaurants and the now closed Locol, offering healthy fast-food alternatives in Watts, has two new TV series coming out.  

Here's an LA Times interview with Choi discussing the shows: Roy Choi on how his new TV shows ‘Broken Bread’ and ‘The Chef Show’ feed his L.A. love.

"Broken Bread" is a collaboration with KCET (free for me) and Tastemade (subscription). It has already started airing and the released episodes can be streamed (at least by me) from those links or via the KCETLink app on phones .  There's a focus on individuals exploring innovative ways to address sustainability and social issues through food.  Here's a link to an article and interview that Evan Kleiman did with Choi on her radio show,  "Good Food"  I recommend it the show. I found the individuals inspirational but the fact that there's only so much one person makes the situations disturbingly frustrating.  

"The Chef Show" will air on Netflix, starting June 7 and stars Choi and writer/director/actor Jon Favreau who Choi advised when Favreau was making his food truck movie, "Chef."  I haven't seen this yet.  Could be fun, especially if there's some cooking involved or could be annoying-bros-and-famous-friends-eat-out junk.  Eater article here.

Trailers for both shows:

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Been watching The Chef Show on Netflix - I like it!  Though I fast forward some of the non food related stuff, it has some great moments and I have had a few ideas come from it - the one remembering Jonathan Gold was fantastic.  I will be making that Green Curry - so interesting how differently she executes the dish than how I typically would.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...