• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Tempeh

gfron1

Anyone making their own tempeh? One of the best things I've eaten since returning to St Louis is homemade tempeh from Konfluence Kombucha. Grocery store tempeh is disgusting IMO, but this guy's is crunchy and the soybeans hold their shape, but are still soft. We've been trying to make our own, and today's batch turned out pretty good once we seared it off with a good salting, but it was all mush in the middle. I want to figure out how to keep the bean structure in the process. Ideas?

Homemade tempeh is for sure an entirely different product than the gross, waxy, and bitter slabs you buy at the store. It's been a couple of years since I have made it, but I used to do so regularly. The person who taught me how to make it stressed two things: undercook the beans slightly, and don't make the cake too thick. 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch is ideal.

• Like 1