• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday Cake bonbon

Bentley

What flavor is birthday cake??  When I hear "birthday cake bonbon", I think sweet and vanilla, but that doesn't seem to really convey the flavor of birthday cake.  

My last birthday cake bonbon came about because I had some leftover birthday cake.  It was a vanilla cake and I actually mixed it into a white chocolate ganache and piped it into molds.  But short of baking a cake and mixing it into a ganache, what are people doing for this flavor?   

Edited by Bentley (log)

I'm not sure how it would work in bon bon, but I was looking into ice cream that flavor for some one (didn't end up making it), and most of what I found was people would use the dry cake mix. Would that work too add it to a ganache? Seems kinda weird, but 🤷‍♀️.

Edited by RWood (log)
  • Like 1

I think your on the right track in describing birthday cake as sweet and vanilla, but realistically I think items that are labeled birthday cake flavor use an artificial flavor. A quick Google search shows birthday cake mixes containing natural and artificial flavor in the ingredients list, I think these companies know how to mix flavors to get what the general public would call birthday cake. And like I suspected, LorAnn oils do have a cake batter flavor meant for hard candy, and one labeled birthday cake that's for ice cream.

Its a funny area in my opinion, because a vanilla cake with vanilla frosting and sprinkles has been condensed down into a flavor that we can't specifically put our finger on. Like you said, something white chocolate based sounds like your on the right track. You could add the LorAnn oil to it, but those types of centers in bonbons end up tasting so fake. 

• Like 2

Until I read this thread I'd never even thought it possible that birthday cake had a distinct flavour, or that it would sold in a bottle! What a strange world we live in - birthday cakes in my house are whatever the birthdayee wants - my eldest turned 13 a week ago and wanted chocolate mousse. I was like great, cool I'll make a beautiful entremet and he goes "dad no that would suck I just wanted chocolate mousse in a bowl" ... Ouch to my ego 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, keychris said:

Until I read this thread I'd never even thought it possible that birthday cake had a distinct flavour, or that it would sold in a bottle! What a strange world we live in - birthday cakes in my house are whatever the birthdayee wants - my eldest turned 13 a week ago and wanted chocolate mousse. I was like great, cool I'll make a beautiful entremet and he goes "dad no that would suck I just wanted chocolate mousse in a bowl" ... Ouch to my ego 🤣

Its probably more of an American thing.  I see it mostly in ice cream, but occasionally in bonbons.  Here is Susanna Yoon's (Stick With Me Sweets) interpretation:

https://yorkavenueblog.com/sweet-treat-birthday-cake-bonbons/

And this is my version that I mentioned in the original post.  It is white chocolate ganache with actual birthday cake mixed in (frosting and all) along with a layer of vanilla buttercream icing:

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 5.25.55 PM.png

Edited by Bentley (log)