• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bentley

Bentley

7 hours ago, keychris said:

Until I read this thread I'd never even thought it possible that birthday cake had a distinct flavour, or that it would sold in a bottle! What a strange world we live in - birthday cakes in my house are whatever the birthdayee wants - my eldest turned 13 a week ago and wanted chocolate mousse. I was like great, cool I'll make a beautiful entremet and he goes "dad no that would suck I just wanted chocolate mousse in a bowl" ... Ouch to my ego 🤣

Its probably more of an American thing.  I see it mostly in ice cream, but occasionally in bonbons.  Here is Susanna Yoon's (Stick With Me Sweets) interpretation:

https://yorkavenueblog.com/sweet-treat-birthday-cake-bonbons/

And this is my version that I mentioned in the original post.  It is white chocolate ganache with actual birthday cake mixed in (frosting and all) along with a layer of vanilla buttercream icing:

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 5.25.55 PM.png

Bentley

Bentley

7 hours ago, keychris said:

Until I read this thread I'd never even thought it possible that birthday cake had a distinct flavour, or that it would sold in a bottle! What a strange world we live in - birthday cakes in my house are whatever the birthdayee wants - my eldest turned 13 a week ago and wanted chocolate mousse. I was like great, cool I'll make a beautiful entremet and he goes "dad no that would suck I just wanted chocolate mousse in a bowl" ... Ouch to my ego 🤣

Its probably more of an American thing.  I see it mostly in ice cream, but occasionally in bonbons.  Here is Susanna Yoon's (Stick With Me Sweets) interpretation:

https://yorkavenueblog.com/sweet-treat-birthday-cake-bonbons/