• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The cost of replacement parts or repair for small appliances

4 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Can anyone tell me why it's so expensive to buy a replacement work bowl for the Cuisinart? Sometimes you want a second work bowl for a variety of reasons, not just because the original one is damaged in some way. 

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Spare parts are expensive for almost anything.  Some years ago I bought a second bowl for my Cuisinart.  I don't remember the price but it was not unreasonable.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

20 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Spare parts are expensive for almost anything.  Some years ago I bought a second bowl for my Cuisinart.  I don't remember the price but it was not unreasonable.

And this is why our landfills are overflowing. It isn't practical to repair things anymore. I just ordered a new slow-cooker. One of the reviews said that the insert had broken and to replace it was going to cost as much as the entire slow-cooker cost. That's absurd! I can remember back when I was a kid. If a small appliance broke, you took it to a local repair shop and had it fixed. There are no places like that now. Even our vacuum cleaner stores have closed. 😞

• Like 4

Deb

Liberty, MO

34 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

And this is why our landfills are overflowing. It isn't practical to repair things anymore. I just ordered a new slow-cooker. One of the reviews said that the insert had broken and to replace it was going to cost as much as the entire slow-cooker cost. That's absurd! I can remember back when I was a kid. If a small appliance broke, you took it to a local repair shop and had it fixed. There are no places like that now. Even our vacuum cleaner stores have closed. 😞

I've never had a slow cooker or a rice cooker, instead make do with a pot on the stove but agree that a lack of repair or replacement parts is frustrating and wasteful.  Instead of throwing small appliances in the landfill, are there any electronics recyclers in your area?  Or even Salvation Army/Goodwill, I believe they sort through donations and recycle materials.  A church down the street from me hosts these folks with a couple of large trucks a few times a year - https://www.1greenplanet.com/recycle.html -   I still don't know what to do with my dead chest freezer but I was able to drop off my leaky old espresso maker that I'd had since college. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

https://repaircafe.org/en/

https://zerowastecanada.ca/share-the-repair-the-repair-cafe-movement/

ETA: The latter link is Canadian, but provides a good backgrounder. If you look at the main site, you'll see that there are Repair Cafes in over half of the US states (just barely, I'll grant you, at 26 to date, but still...).

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 5/19/2019 at 7:17 AM, Maison Rustique said:

http://fixitclinic.blogspot.com/

• Like 2

... Shel

On 5/19/2019 at 10:17 AM, Maison Rustique said:

A lot of the blame for the unreparable appliance problem I think lies with the Walmart and Targets of the world who demand lower and lower prices for appliances. They’ve reached the point where repair is more expensive than buying a new one. 

• Like 2

I agree.  My KA processor is maybe 5 years old and every piece of the bowl components are cracked...did not drop them and don’t use it more than once a week...probably less.  So far the motor is ok.  I’ve gone through 3 microwaves in the past month.  And don’t get me started on fridges and freezers....borderline off topic comment☺️

• Like 1