• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low decibel restaurants in San Francisco

First, we don't eat out much in San Francisco.    We are out of town much, and have found kinds of small restaurant, passionate chefs, loyal following AND a kind of civilized calm in the dining room.    Not the club or party atmosphere that is to prevalent in SF.    And the tab at these places is as digestible as the innovative cooking.

SO, are there these kinds of places in SF today?     We'd love to be able to dine as well at home as we do abroad.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

Oh my! Decibel in a city like SF....?  Do tell if you find some. Often the noise can become a caccoon and you just interact with your dining companion tuning the fray out. 

Edited by heidih (log)

(I love your dog!)      Yes, there are many (expensive) destination restaurants with minimum noise, but i am looking for small, casual, chef-driven dining rooms.   

Suggested elsewhere and meeting this criteria is Firefly.    On the opposite end of the continuum is Pearl 6101, which blasts music AND has little sound-abating finishes.   

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

Haloooo, weinoo!    Good call.   It's on the top of my list to revisit.  

Am flirting with theater menu at nightbird.   https://www.nightbirdrestaurant.com/menus/#tasting-menu-copy     Pretty early, but i thought worth a try at that price.   Not much review on it out there, tho.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.