• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mariesdoats

mariesdoats

On 5/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, eugenep said:

Hmmm..I wonder if that's the Botanical Gardens of San Francisco. 

Doesn't SF have a very large foodie culture? 

I am interested to hear what's the current food scene like if you happen to have a sense/intuition about it 

thanks 

I’m actually about 1.5 hours away, at UC Davis! we have a 100-acre garden here. But yes yes— San Francisco, Napa County, and much of northern California has a very active, thriving food culture. Closer to home, Davis has a very large Farmer’s Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays, just around the corner from where I live— indeed, our front yard is a CSA veggie box drop off spot for close friends who are local farmers, so it’s all I can do to keep up with the fresh produce, when a box or two is left behind. (we get the “leftover” boxes for free if no one has picked them up by Sunday at noon). I’ll post a photo from one particularly crazy week, if I can figure out how... good thing I like cooking, is all I can say!😉

C6AE894C-A9D7-46BB-A88D-494487575D7F.jpeg

73570AAC-E0B1-47BD-9D86-CA8A00BBB9F5.jpeg

6583094D-BDE0-4945-9BDF-85966B531EBA.jpeg

mariesdoats

mariesdoats

On 5/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, eugenep said:

Hmmm..I wonder if that's the Botanical Gardens of San Francisco. 

Doesn't SF have a very large foodie culture? 

I am interested to hear what's the current food scene like if you happen to have a sense/intuition about it 

thanks 

I’m actually about 1.5 miles away, at UC Davis! we have a 100-acre garden here. But yes yes— San Francisco, Napa County, and much of northern California has a very active, thriving food culture. Closer to home, Davis has a very large Farmer’s Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays, just around the corner from where I live— indeed, our front yard is a CSA veggie box drop off spot for close friends who are local farmers, so it’s all I can do to keep up with the fresh produce, when a box or two is left behind. (we get the “leftover” boxes for free if no one has picked them up by Sunday at noon). I’ll post a photo from one particularly crazy week, if I can figure out how... good thing I like cooking, is all I can say!😉

C6AE894C-A9D7-46BB-A88D-494487575D7F.jpeg

73570AAC-E0B1-47BD-9D86-CA8A00BBB9F5.jpeg

6583094D-BDE0-4945-9BDF-85966B531EBA.jpeg