• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filling bundt cakes: beyond 'tunnel of fudge'

I remember making bundt cakes with 'baked-in' filling, and now I wonder:  would a basic fruit curd stand up to being baked in the middle of a bundt cake without horrible texture fail?

Could something like this basic curd work, chilled enough to allow it to be applied with a pastry bag over the half-filled bundt cake batter, and topped with more batter?  Dreaming now of a pistachio cake with pomegranate filling, but thinking about other combinaions as well--what are the key characteristics required in a 'bake-in' filling?

2/3 cup sugar
2 T cornstarch
1 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup lemon juice

5 egg yolks, whisked together

1/3 cup butter, cut into chunks

Stirred the sugar, cornstarch and juices together until there were no lumps, then brought it to about 160 degrees. Gradually added it to the whisked eggs, returned to heat, brought to near boil so the cornstarch thickened, then strained it into a bowl, whisked in the butter, and poured into serving dishes to chill.

I'm a subscriber so can get behind the paywall, sort of.....they want me to pay even more for access to their back recipes.

But I can see the recipe above, and it's about altering a bit of the batter, which is another way to approach the issue:  I could take the base cake batter and mix a portion of it with pomegranate molasses and swirl that in, which would get a lot of the same flavor elements, but not the curd texture I'm dreaming about. 

Personally I would avoid egg yolks and butter, they would mask the pomegranate taste. I would avoid lemon juice too.

I made something similar years ago, here is the photo:

saccottini_patatadolce_melagrana.jpg.2a26828166d5a47ae7691722789ab576.jpg

They were "saccottini" made with sweet potato dough (Italian sweet potato, which is grey) and a pomegranate filling. It's different from a bundt cake in the sense that in my case the dough was a laminated yeasted dough, so during the cooking process it's "harder" than a bundt cake batter, but I don't think there are risks for the filling to run out of the cake batter.

I used this recipe:

50 g   cornstarch

450 g    pomegranate juice

120 g    sugar  (I used cane sugar to make it vegan)

Put cornstarch in a pot, add about 50 g pomegranate juice, whisk to dissolve the cornstarch and break all the lumps (if you add all the pomegranate juice then it's harder to break all the lumps). Add the remaining pomegranate juice and the sugar, whisk to dissolve. Cook whisking constantly, when it starts making the first bubbles then lower the flame to the minimum, keep cooking for other 2 minutes (always whisking). Let it cool, then use.

Result had a soft "creamy" texture, should be what you are looking for.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

Tunnel cakes were a thing in the 70's. Not necessariy baked in - but tunneled out after baking. My mom's entertainment dessert  for special folk  was angel food split  and tunneled  out. (innards pulled out) with a stunning black cherry mousse "tunnel".  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, teonzo said:

Personally I would avoid egg yolks and butter, they would mask the pomegranate taste. I would avoid lemon juice too.

I made something similar years ago, here is the photo:

saccottini_patatadolce_melagrana.jpg.2a26828166d5a47ae7691722789ab576.jpg

Those look delicious!

I am specifically asking about this curd, which I created as part of a different dish (a tart with apples and pomegranate curd), and I loved the pomegranate curd as written , with the richness of the eggs and the butter.  What I am wondering about are the limits of a cornstarch/egg curd or custard being used to 'fill' a cake by being baked inside it--will they separate or liquify or come out (when cooled) as a thick sliceable center to a slice of cake?

Today I went simple and prepared a pomegranate curd to pour over the pistachio cake.  There's lots of room for improvement because I discovered that pomegranate molasses has too strong of a 'cooked' flavor already to substitute for pomegranate juice, although the intensification of the pomegranate flavor was pleasing against the relatively bland cake. 

I think the way to go for practice is small-batch cupcakes with dollops of filling to see how each filling is affected by being 'baked in'.  Walk before I run....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, heidih said:

Tunnel cakes were a thing in the 70's. Not necessariy baked in - but tunneled out after baking. My mom's entertainment dessert  for special folk  was angel food split  and tunneled  out. (innards pulled out) with a stunning black cherry mousse "tunnel".  

That sounds delicious.   But I'd rather be lazy and 'bake it in' than to hollow out and keep it neat. 

When I use lemon curd as a tart filling, I sometimes put the tart in the oven for 5-10 minutes to set; it's the same principle as lemon bars. I'm going to venture a guess that you'd want to layer the cake batter in,  chill it, use a spoon to make a moat, put the cold curd in the moat then pour the rest of the batter over it.

11 hours ago, Wholemeal Crank said:

I am specifically asking about this curd, which I created as part of a different dish (a tart with apples and pomegranate curd), and I loved the pomegranate curd as written , with the richness of the eggs and the butter.  What I am wondering about are the limits of a cornstarch/egg curd or custard being used to 'fill' a cake by being baked inside it--will they separate or liquify or come out (when cooled) as a thick sliceable center to a slice of cake? 

Ah, I thought that recipe was new to you, so things are different.

Possible problems with your recipe are these ones:

1- curd's egg proteins coagulate during the cake cooking process, so the curd becomes grainy;

2- cake cooking process breaks the curd's emulsion (lots of butter there), so the curd becomes grainy;

3- curd becomes too runny during the cake cooking process, so it ends up being (partially) absorbed by the underlying cake batter.

Case 1 should not apply here: you already cooked the egg yolks while making the curd, so there should be no risk.

Case 2 could happen, most custards that are baked in the oven don't have troubles but some do, it depends on the single recipe and the cooking process. I would say this is possible but chances are small.

Case 3 is more probable. You have the cornstarch that binds water, but there is that lot of butter that liquefies before the cake batter starts setting (egg proteins are still uncooked, starches are not gelatinized). This is the more worrysome risk, especially if it's combined with case 2.

Only way to know is trying.

Teo

Teo

10 hours ago, teonzo said:

Ah, I thought that recipe was new to you, so things are different.

Possible problems with your recipe are these ones:

1- curd's egg proteins coagulate during the cake cooking process, so the curd becomes grainy;

2- cake cooking process breaks the curd's emulsion (lots of butter there), so the curd becomes grainy;

3- curd becomes too runny during the cake cooking process, so it ends up being (partially) absorbed by the underlying cake batter.

Case 1 should not apply here: you already cooked the egg yolks while making the curd, so there should be no risk.

Case 2 could happen, most custards that are baked in the oven don't have troubles but some do, it depends on the single recipe and the cooking process. I would say this is possible but chances are small.

Case 3 is more probable. You have the cornstarch that binds water, but there is that lot of butter that liquefies before the cake batter starts setting (egg proteins are still uncooked, starches are not gelatinized). This is the more worrysome risk, especially if it's combined with case 2.

Only way to know is trying.

Teo

Thank you, this is exactly what I was groping towards asking.  I think I have figured out a way to test this with much smaller batches as cupcakes, and will report back on how it goes. 

There is a way to minimize risks:

- prepare the pomegranate curd, then the pistachio cake batter;

- prepare one single cupcake, made with pistachio cake batter and inside a dollop of the pomegranate curd;

- cook the single cupcake and see what happens, if it's ok then you go on with your initial plan (pistachio cake with the pomegranate curd filling), if it's not ok then you prepare a standard pistachio cake, then fill it with the pomegranate curd after it's cooked and cooled.

This way you waste a single cupcake at most.

Teo

Teo

I was forgetting an important thing: shelf life.

If you succeed in making the filled bundt cake, then beware for how much time you store it and where you store it. That pomegranate curd does not have long shelf life at room temperature, I doubt it can reach the 2 days mark. So be careful about this, since we are talking about a whole cake and it's possible you are planning to eat it in multiple days. If so, store it in the fridge. It's a problem for the cake part, since it becomes tough due to the butter hardening. You can warm the slices in a microwave, but there is another problem related to this: the curd will heat much more than the cake part, due to the much higher water content.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

I'll be interested in hearing how it works.  As you probably did, I googled fruit curd bundt cakes and found a number of recipes. Some had visible curd but in others, it seemed to have melted or been absorbed by the cake, sometimes even by people using the same recipes. Most of them were lemon curd/lemon cake so there wasn't much contrast either way.  Your particular combination of pinkish curd and greenish cake has the potential to become anrather unpleasant brownish shade if it doesn't stay separate.  I'm sure the flavors would be delightful either way.

On 5/30/2019 at 2:02 PM, heidih said:

Tunnel cakes were a thing in the 70's. Not necessariy baked in - but tunneled out after baking.

Indeed tunneled out after baking.     From mid-century Betty Crocker Picture Cookook

photo.thumb.JPG.d388f8556c3942f4d2df0405fba0e800.JPG

eGullet member #80.

@Margaret Pilgrim

I have that same book from the low '50's

it was my mothers

and I loved leafing through all those pages 

and so many pictures !

the binder and the punch holes made it something special for me

its still a treasure for me

There is a lot of wisdom in that book.    My m-i-l introduced me to Poteca, an Austrian/Yugoslav walnut-filled bread.    She told me that it was close to impossible to make, only passed down grandmother to mother to daughter.    And, lo and behold, there it is on page 117 of the BCPC.    Simple and correct.    No discernible differences between mine via BCPC and my grand-m-i-l's.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

• Similar Content

• By MightyD
      cakes, cookies, pies, that makes you smile!!!!
    • By meryll_thirteen
      Hi guys! I got excited to post something as this is my first one.
      So, the top 3 desserts I like to eat when I was still in Philippines were Halu-halo (literally means mix-mix in english), brazo de mercedes and chocolate crinkles.

1. HALU-HALO is one of the popular food during summer. This is basically:
      shaved ice with evaporated milk,
      sugar,
      and the following:
      - nata de coco (coconut cream based on a google search, these are cube-like jellies),
      - sweetened red beans,
      - sweetened bananas,
      - cooked sago or tapioca,
      - ube or purple yam,
      - leche flan (this is also one of the best desserts to eat),
      - macapuno (made of coconut),
      - sweetend jackfruit,
      - sweetened kamote (this is similar to sweet potato but caramelized),
      - sweetened kaong (sugar palm fruit)
      - and topped with a scoop of ice cream.
      These fruits are usually bought in jars (found mostly in Asian grocery stores). You basically put the fruits at the bottom, add sugar (if you want because almost all the fruits are sweetened so it's already sweet), then you fill the cup/bowl with shaved ice and add milk. And most importantly, mix it well before you eat because you don't want to eat shaved ice with milk only and then eat the really sweet fruits last.

2. BRAZO DE MERCEDES
      Yah, I think the name is Spanish? I tried making this but I just failed. It's kinda hard to do and takes a lot of patience but it's really worth it. This is my favourite cake! In Philippines, most bakeries sell this but my favourite is from Goldiluck's which is located in shopping malls.
      Brazo de Mercedes recipe

3. CHOCOLATE CRINKLES
      These are my favourite chocolate cookies! I think this one isn't really from Philippines but they are really popular. I was kinda shocked when I came here in Canada, because they don't sell these cookies in the bakeries I've been to so I tried baking these on my own. Since my post is getting long, I'll put the recipe as a link at the bottom.
      http://sweb2.dmit.na...rinkles-recipe/
      I hope you enjoyed my post! Happy eating and baking everyone!
    • By ChrisZ
      Hoping for some help.  I accidentally melted an old mould that is very important to us and I've had no luck searching around for a replacement.  
      If anyone knows where I could buy one - or even has one to spare they would be willing to sell - please send me a message.
      The mould (label attached below) was originally labelled as "Easy as ABC gelatin mould", although we just call it the alphabet mould.  Yes there are lots of alphabet moulds around, including new silicone ones, but we need the specific designs on this one to replace the one I damaged.  Depending on the cost, I would consider paying for postage internationally (to Australia).
      Thanks in advance!

• By highchef
      I own this pan, which I bought 30 years ago in a general store in Fredericksburg Tx. It’s heavy cast aluminum. I love him, but I have issues every time I try to make a gingerbread in it. If the recipe isn’t dense enough, it falls apart at the arms and legs. If it rises and not pressed down, the head cracks at the neck. I have a tasty recipe, but can’t get it to work, and I’m thinking because it uses hot water it makes the cake too light. The grands like the lighter cake as opposed to the denser one, but I’m thinking there must be a trick to make this guy come out intact. Never once has it popped out intact. I can fix the head with a tie, but there must be a way, or another recipe that would be tasty and keep him intact. Any ideas? It will hold a bit less than a standard 9x13 pan, without going over. I spray the heck out of this pan, but I think it’s the recipe that needs to be changed out...

• By Kasia
      CRANBERRY-APPLE CAKE

The worst thing about my cranberry-apple cake is the way it looks. It didn't look impressive, but it was so yummy it disappeared from the baking pan before it had completely cooled down. My children said that it was a colourful apple pie, and it really was something like that. Apples with cinnamon are the basis of apple pie – one of my favourite cakes. However, the sour cranberries make it more fresh and interesting. The crumble topping was, for my son, the most important part of the cake. I had to drive him away, because otherwise the cake would have been deprived of its crunchy top.

Ingredients (18×26cm cake tin ):
      dough
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      3 eggs
      1 packet of powdered vanilla blancmange
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      200g of sugar
      1 teaspoon of baking powder
      pinch of salt
      fruit
      250g of fresh cranberries
      1 apple
      3 tablespoons of brown sugar
      1 teaspoon of cinnamon
      crumble topping
      5 tablespoons of brown sugar
      100g of butter
      150g of flour

First make the crumble topping. Put the cool butter, flour and sugar in a bowl. Knead them until you have small lumps. Leave it in the fridge.
      Heat the oven up to 180C. Cover a cake tin with some baking paper.
      Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt. Cream the butter with the sugar. Add egg after egg to the butter, stirring constantly. Add the flour, vanilla essence and powdered vanilla blancmange. Mix it together until you have a smooth dough. Put the dough into the cake tin. Wash the apple, remove the apple core and cube it. Mix the cranberries, apple, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Put the fruit on top of the dough. Cover the fruit with the crumble topping. Bake for 50 minutes.

Enjoy your meal!