• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Early Shell Release

BVWells

Evening everyone. I have a question about bonbon shell release. I haven't been having any issues with my shells releasing, but it seems as if some release while in the chiller overnight (set at 60F) and some release after filling, capping and being refrigerated (final stage). The ones that release before filling and capping come out a bit dull (the one on the right), and the ones that don't release until the final stage have the shine I'm looking for (one on the left). I would think that if it were an issue with the chocolate not being properly tempered, the ones that stayed in the molds would be the dull ones, but that's not the case.

Any ideas about what is happening? What is causing this?

Branden

20190528_215839.jpg

• Confused 1

Any reason you are leaving them in the chiller overnight?  Chilling tempered chocolate is going to make them release in about 3 minutes or even less.  When I place my shells in the cooler before filling, it is for that amount time only.  If I leave them in as long as you do, they will release and then the humidity from the chiller is going to cause them to go dull and bloom.  If your room temp is cold enough, placing them in the chiller is not even necessary as the tempered chocolate will set up nicely in the <=65°F room.  Unfortunately, I am in the South so I rarely can get my workroom cold enough this time of year.

• Like 2