• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Regena

Cheesecake Issues...

Is there a way I can bake a cheese cake in a spring pan and remove it - as a dish to take to a guest?  My crust is stuck on the bottom of the pan and at this moment, there is no way to remove it...Or can it be baked with a cardboard bottom?  Can someone help me on this please?

If it's a buttery crust, try heating the bottom of the pan to melt the film of butter gluing the crust to the pan. 

Otherwise, I'd suggest a round of parchment under the crust before baking.  Cardboard might be too thick and interfere with heat transfer while baking.

• Like 1

I agree, parchment. Cool, invert, remove parchment, invert again onto serving dish.

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

-The mosque is too far from home, so let's do this / Let's make a weeping child laugh.

Nida Fazli, poet, 1938-2016 (translated, from the Urdu, by Anu Garg, wordsmith.org)

I use a 10" slicer style (ie not a wide blade) - it slips under the crust, you rotate around, frees the crust, then slide it off the pan.

as to options - you can also use parchment paper under the crust.  butter both side of the paper - it'll slide off the metal springform bottom....

(I would not use cardboard tho - you can 'plate' it onto a cardboard round after baking.)

I use a knife to start the loosening, then after enough of the crust gives way, I switch to a thin metal spatula to loosen the entire crust.  

Sign in to follow this