• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eglies

Tempering Valhrona Milk in melting pot

Hey guys!

Ive been having some difficulty with Valhrona Milk 38%. It doesn't seem to temper like any other milk chocolate. 

I melt the chocolate to 45C and then using the seeding technique i drop the temp down to 30C. 

When at 30C it seems tempered but after a few minutes i start to see bad tempering results. 

Is there something in particular about this chocolate that i should know about?

Which Valrhona milk chocolate are you using? I use their Jivara milk chocolate and find it works quite well. Not as easy as a dark chocolate but quite acceptable for ganaches, shelling moulds, and eating.

@Kerry Bealmy problem is that it doesnt drop down to 30C it stays around 35C. And when reached at 30C it just doesnt temper properly. 

Im sure my thermometer is accurate because i double check with my second one i have. 

@curls i use ariaga milk 38%. And i can see a difference from other brands of milk chocolate. 

15 minutes ago, eglies said:

@Kerry Bealmy problem is that it doesnt drop down to 30C it stays around 35C. And when reached at 30C it just doesnt temper properly. 

Im sure my thermometer is accurate because i double check with my second one i have. 

I corrected the autocorrect above - you need to still have some unmelted seed when you reach the working temperature.

Why don’t you try tempering it with your EZtemper?

Is milk chocolate just harder to use and temper than dark chocolate?  I tend to stay away from it...don't like it anyway... because I always seem to have trouble with it while I don't with dark chocolate.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

3 hours ago, eglies said:

my problem is that it doesn't drop down to 30C it stays around 35C. And when reached at 30C it just doesnt temper properly. 

The drop from 35 to 30 is where the magic happens, but remember, tempering is not only about temperature, it's about crystallization.  Just because it's at 30C doesn't mean stable crystals have formed, you may need to stir/agitate it more and/or drop the temp another degree. Taking the pan of chocolate out of the melter can help it cool more quickly.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for all your help and tips!

I will try it out tomorrow and let you know how it goes :) 

• Similar Content

• By Ciordia9
      I've read some older threads on here about keeping your cocoa butter warm in a dehydrator. We picked up a NutriChef PKFD32 which was the closest we could find to a recommended one (2016/2018) and none of our bottles fit. Which had us ask--are people putting their bottles preset in here or are you using cups/transferring and cleaning your bottles over and over? Also if the PKFD32 isn't what we should be using, is there one generally people like now?

We've grown up from cheap airbrushes to the Grex line and we're attempting to get much more serious about our airbrush techniques. It's been long enough. Any thoughts, tips, tricks, or considerations are greatly appreciated.
    • By eglies
      Hey guys!

Im looking for the ultimate tool to make this design i have attached. 
      What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

• By eglies
      Hello everyone!

Id like your advise about freezing bonbons. 

Lets say i would start to freeze my bonbons now in the summer for Christmas. Would they last for such an extended period of time?
      Also using natural colouring, would the colour remain as good when i open them up after a couple of months?

Would be great to hear your thoughts and experiences on the matter  
      Thank you!

• By pastrygirl
      My supplier decided that cocoa butter is now special order so I had to buy a case. And now I have an excessive amount of cocoa butter, anyone need any?  

Cacao Barry cocoa butter pistoles with a best by date of April 2021   $66 for the 3 kg tub or $22 per kg plus shipping. 

• By eglies
      Hi guys,

Please help, I prepare my chocolate in melting pot all good perfect temper leave it overnight in melting pot covered and at the correct temperature, when I come in the morning its thicker and need to use heat gun to rewarm it. I am worried about it going out of temper. Any tricks to recommend?

Thanks