• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

18 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I have had the green but not the black.  Please clarify - they should be splitting or not splitting?  I'm thinking not splitting.  I'm going to go to the same Indian grocer I bought the green ones from.  I'm hoping he'll have the black ones.

From the spruceates.com

Always try to buy black cardamom whole rather than in seed form as it begins to lose its potency and aroma when the skin is removed and seeds are stored without the skin. For the same reason, it is also preferable not to buy the powdered form if whole pods are available. When required for use as a powder, remove and discard the skin, grind the seeds in a clean, dry coffee grinder, and use immediately. Look for fragrant, well-formed pods that are plump, firm, dry, and about an inch in length.’

my Indian cookbooks also say a similar thing.

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

18 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I have had the green but not the black.  Please clarify - they should be splitting or not splitting?  I'm thinking not splitting.  I'm going to go to the same Indian grocer I bought the green ones from.  I'm hoping he'll have the black ones.

From the spruce antes.com

Always try to buy black cardamom whole rather than in seed form as it begins to lose its potency and aroma when the skin is removed and seeds are stored without the skin. For the same reason, it is also preferable not to buy the powdered form if whole pods are available. When required for use as a powder, remove and discard the skin, grind the seeds in a clean, dry coffee grinder, and use immediately. Look for fragrant, well-formed pods that are plump, firm, dry, and about an inch in length.’

my Indian cookbooks also say a similar thing.