• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question about frozen mussels

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

We have always loved mussels and just discovered a source for them here in nearby Morelia. However, they are frozen and I have no experience with frozen mussels. I assume you let them defrost and then check to see if any haven't opened as you would with fresh ones. Or can you steam them without thawing? I'm looking forward to inviting our French friends for moules and I don't want to poison anybody!

Thanks for your help--

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Edited by Smithy
Capitalisation (log)

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

Are they the blackish/blueish ones or the green lip New Zealander?  Thaw by running under cold water for about 10 minutes. Are they debearded?   After the  under running water,  treat like fresh. Kenji at Serious Eats debunks the "unopened" thing  "*For the record, you can go ahead and ignore the conventional wisdom that a mussel that doesn't open after cooking shouldn't be eaten. AsDaniel pointed out in his piece on Rhode Island Clam Chowder (and as corroborated by this Australian study)"  I'd do a little test drive with a few for confidence.

Edited by heidih (log)

I bought the frozen green-lipped mussels at Pacifica (it's a decent chain pescaderia) and didn't care for them (very rubbery as well as a bit too fishy taste)...I followed the package directions.  They were pricey so I never bought them to try again.  

Thanks, Heidi, for the information about unopened shellfish. As for the kind of mussel, I don't know--I just know that the store has them but I haven't bought them yet. However, I now have confidence that the frozen ones will work pretty much the same as fresh. We'll get a supply the next time we go to Morelia.

Thanks, all--

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Formerly "Nancy in CO"