• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dynamic MiniPro/Dynashake Blender and Ricer/Food Mill Attachment

IEATRIO

Dave Arnold mentioned on his show how he hates to make mashed potatoes in a tamis because it's such tedious work, and that he used the ricer/food-mill attachment on a Dynamic immersion blender and liked it.  I'm looking to buy one, but have a bit of sticker shock to overcome.  The basic blender is about $160 (which doesn't seem too out of whack for the quality) but the Ricer/Food Mill attachment, which has no motor of its own, is around $150 (and full list is much higher).  As is often my trick for European products, I checked out Amazon.fr and Amazon.co.uk which often lead to half price Euro cooking gear for North Americans, but no joy . . . worse prices than in the USA.

Anyway, before I buy it I thought I would ask for the experiences of others who have tried it.  I'm also curious about the differences between the standard Mini-Pro and the Dynashake model, which looks nearly identical but comes with a slightly longer barrel and a shake cup which looks perfect for making mayonnaise which I'll be using this for often.  

Thanks.

Some while ago I looked into the Dynashake but in the end I didn't buy it.  I have an inexpensive immersion blender that I hardly use.  I thought the Dynashake might serve as a poor woman's homogenizer.  But now I have an even poorer woman's rotor stator homogenizer.  If I wanted a blender (which thankfully I don't) I'd get a blender.  If I wanted a milkshake machine I'd get a milkshake machine.

If you get the Dynashake I'd love to hear about it.

Dave Arnold must be truly indolent.  Tonight it took two and one half minutes to scrape my potatoes through the tamis.  It was more work to pound the mace.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I tried one and yeah na, I like my mash a little rougher and a lot faster. A really strong masher will do it in only a few minutes then you gently mix in the butter milk and salt all while it’s still hot and clean up is faster. 

Having said that, I’m all for toys if you think it’ll be the bomb in your kitchen have at it. I had a Breville one, I’d imagine most decent brands are going to serve you well. If I want smooth I retrograde my potato’s Sous Vide and put them through the food mixer (and not the food processor)

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dave Arnold must be truly indolent.  Tonight it took two and one half minutes to scrape my potatoes through the tamis.  It was more work to pound the mace.

I don't know. It struck a chord in me because I also hate passing potatoes through a tamis.  Its messy and tedious, and its easy to burn your hands, and then a pain to clean the tamis.  I find myself too often just chucking the potatoes in a Kitchen Aid -- I have a Vitamix too but that makes them terribly gummy -- but the loss of quality is very noticeable (even to my kids) and I think I'd make mashed potatoes much more frequently if I could automate the process.  I figure it would be good for hummous too, which I also make a lot of.

I've had a series of $30-$50 immersion blenders and now that my latest Cuisinart -- which is a horrible machine with a misplaced "safety" button that requires the use of two hands -- is failing, thought I would invest in something nicer to use and that will last.

• Like 1