• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best way to turn Ramen powder into syrup?

FeChef

I have recently been buying these SamYang Hot Chicken Flavor Ramen. They are delishous but crazy Hot. It comes with these really thick ramen noodles, a black sesame and seaweed flake packet, and a liquid death syrup packet, lol. I really like the directions, you basicly boil the thick noodles till al dente and drain all water, then add the liquid death syrup and mix, then top with the black seasame and seaweed flakes. Its really good.

But i really love the flavor of yakisoba spicy chicken ramen. The only problem is the noodles are thin and the packets are powder and not a syrup. 

I was wondering if anyone knows how to basicly make it a syrup like the SamYang? I thought of oil, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. Sometimes they are less then 75 cents at walmart, if its the only way to get the flavor i would buy them just for the flavor packets and add them to a thick ramen noodle.

5 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I think of syrup as sticky and sugar based, do you really just need chili oil?

Well, there is already enough heat on both packets, chili oil is not needed. I think a simple veg oil would work, i just was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the difference between the powder versions, and the liquid syrup versions.

FYI, there is clearly no sugar in these syrup type packets, lol.

Isn't syrup sugar+water, by definition? I agree with @pastrygirl that it is probably a chili oil of some kind - note that many chili oils are not just chili flakes and oil, but can be quite complex with herbs, spices,  garlic, ginger, soy sauce, etc...

• Like 2

I use xanthan gum to stabilize homemade fermented hot sauces

The gum stabilizes the emulsion and is supposed to work as a thickener too 

Adding this might thicken and stabilize the powder water mixture into a syrup - if you try, please let me know if it works 

1 hour ago, eugenep said:

I use xanthan gum to stabilize homemade fermented hot sauces

The gum stabilizes the emulsion and is supposed to work as a thickener too 

Adding this might thicken and stabilize the powder water mixture into a syrup - if you try, please let me know if it works 

Just don't use too much or it winds up becoming "mucous-y", for lack of a better term... There are threads in here that discuss proper amounts and techniques for use.

• Like 2