• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mozzarella: what to do with it?

Darienne

Ed, he who does the shopping now and always manages to floor me each time with what he buys 'extra', has bought way too much mozzarella.  Besides putting it on pizza or using it in Lasagne, how else can I work it into our lives?

Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If you can find some decent hothouse tomatoes and some fresh basil, make a caprese salad or a variation thereof. If you like Italian subs, try some mozz instead of provolone.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

When you say mozzarella, what do you mean?  Did he bring home balls of the fresh stuff sitting in whey brine?  Did he get bricks of the dried stuff?  Bags of the shredded dried stuff?  Lots of things get called mozzarella commercially... knowing what you've got would help us come up with recommendations... 

see e.g.: https://www.foodrepublic.com/2015/10/01/12-types-mozzarella-know-love-melt/ and https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-with-low-moisture-mozzarella-and-when-to-use-it-256664

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 3

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Assuming the firmer brick type, it's pretty melty so how about a fondue or rarebit?  Bump up the seasonings since mozz is milder than gruyere or cheddar and/or add a small amount of something extra strong like Parmesan or blue.

Cold smoke some for variety if you're crafty that way.

Dog treats?

• Like 2

If it is the firm block type mozz (ie, not the ball in brine) you can cut cubes and make mozz stuffed meatballs, or arancini. Neither uses a tremendous amount of cheese, but mozz (if in a sealed pack, I'm thinking of the stuff like Polly-O in the US) will keep for a while in the fridge if unopened.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@cdh: oops.  Never thought of that.  It's simply the firm block style.  Thanks.

@pastrygirl:  Not much for fondues...but we do have two large always looking for a treat dogs.

@BeeZee:  I've already run it through the food processor for slices...Carpal Tunnel thingy...  Have to Google arancini...yes, it's that bad...

We use a lot of cheese and I have this wonderful cheese cracker from Williams Sonoma that I make regularly which can take a lot of different cheeses...but not Mozzarella.  We're not much for Mozzarella.  It's just not a favorite.   

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

@Darienne, I’m sure you could tear up some of those slices and stack up the bits to make a larger mass to stuff the rice balls. Even if not perfect, they are tasty. A recipe born from using up leftovers.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

45 minutes ago, oofencocotte said:

Can it be grilled like halloumi? 

don't think so - like I believe it'll turn stringy-e (like pizza cheese) 

something about the protein mesh structure that makes it non-ideal for melting cheese 

unlike ricotta (I believe) and some Latin frying cheese that's "coagulated?" with vinegar 

• Like 2

Keep it simple is the best and let the cheese come to room temperature.

Roast 1/4 inch slices of eggplant and tomatoes until the former is lightly browned and the latter is slightly shriveled. Stack with 1/4 inch slices of Mozzerella in alternate order. Top with a large basil leaf, drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper - makes great spring/summer appetizer.

• Like 1

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

On 5/21/2019 at 4:54 PM, Darienne said:

@BeeZeeI've already run it through the food processor for slices...Carpal Tunnel thingy...  Have to Google arancini...yes, it's that bad...  

I don't know how long you plan on keeping it around for, but, in the future, if you want to prolong the shelf life, it's best to keep it in the packaging until you need it. Also, brick mozzarella is only as good as it's melt, and slices melt especially poorly- it's super easy to end up with rubbery tasteless cheese.  Even if you can't grate them by hand, I might put them back in the food processor for a handful of pulses on the chop setting.

I tend to have a lot mozzarella around and use it for any Mexican dishes that require melted cheese, like enchiladas.

It also fries up really well in a non stick pan.  Take it until golden brown and you'll get crunchy crackers when it cools.

Edited by scott123 (log)
  • Like 2

I seldom buy what you are calling "brick mozzarella", but I call "American mozzarella". Instead I make my own Italian style ball mozzarella. So easy and so much better. 

The interwebs are full of instructions and videos.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto