• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
DanM

Wine pairing help

I found a lamb shoulder on the cheap and the market is brimming with fresh apricots from the Mediterranean coast. I found a recipe from River Cottage Fruit for slow roast lamb shoulder with spiced apricot sauce. The ingredients are listed below. I assume I should have this with a red wine, but what type? Since I live in Switzerland on the French border,  I have easy access to  Swiss and French wines. Other countries are as rare as a dog that speaks Norwegian. Any advice will be appreciated. 

Ingredients 
1 shoulder of mature lamb, or mutton or hogget, on the bone 
A little olive oil, to trickle 
2 tsp fennel seeds 
3 tsp coriander seeds 
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half 
10 cardamom pods 
1 tsp black peppercorns 
2 star anise 
2 tsp dried chilli flakes 
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika 
10–12 apricots, halved and stoned 
4 garlic cloves, finely sliced 
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper 
Mint leaves, to finish (optional)

Many Thanks!

• Like 1

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I'd go with a full-bodied, spicy Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

• Like 1

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

-The mosque is too far from home, so let's do this / Let's make a weeping child laugh.

Nida Fazli, poet, 1938-2016 (translated, from the Urdu, by Anu Garg, wordsmith.org)

Try a Bordeaux from the Pomerol region, which are predominately  Merlot. Should be a great match with your lamb dish.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2019 at 8:38 PM, Alex said:

I'd go with a full-bodied, spicy Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a rare breed and hard to find. There is only one kosher wine from this appellation.  I was in luck and found it at the kosher market. It was an amazing wine. Thanks for the suggestion!

IMG_20190429_071715.jpg

Edited by DanM (log)
  • Like 1

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

You're welcome. Congratulations on your luck -- that's a good one. I'm glad you found it. So how was the lamb?

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

-The mosque is too far from home, so let's do this / Let's make a weeping child laugh.

Nida Fazli, poet, 1938-2016 (translated, from the Urdu, by Anu Garg, wordsmith.org)

Sign in to follow this