• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionary Workshop 2019

Kerry Beal

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

What sort of knives you thinking?

- chopping ingredients (nuts and other inclusions)

- portioning items that can’t be cut with a confectionery guitar (nougat, caramel, etc.)

On 5/19/2019 at 5:06 PM, DayGameCandy said:

Big thanks to all for allowing this hard candy guy into your world of chocolate!  I had an amazing time and everyone was so gracious!  

If you wouldn't mind, would you please share your recipe for hard candy? I think the batch size you made at the conference is that "just right" amount. Thanks again for sharing all your knowledge. Hope we see you next year!

I’m sorry all, I should have publicized louder that I had a couple of spare almost-everything in the bottomless suitcase 😄.

@RobertM do you mean the stiff acetate like report covers, or the floppier guitar sheets?

For me:

10. A full size compressor with either 1/4” or 3/8” fittings to support larger air sprayers. We could bring converters for our own 1/4” sprayers or 1/8” airbrushes if needed (I have spares 😊).

Since the venue was a school, I suppose it was not surprising that the small wares that get “taken home accidentally” would not be available.

The list that @Kerry Beal started can be used by future organizers as a questionnaire for the facility so both sides have the same expectations, and we know what we can leave at home.

Then I could bring a (slightly 😄) smaller suitcase.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jbates said:

Since the venue was a school, I suppose it was not surprising that the small wares that get “taken home accidentally” would not be available.

The list that @Kerry Beal started can be used by future organizers as a questionnaire for the facility so both sides have the same expectations, and we know what we can leave at home.

Then I could bring a (slightly 😄) smaller suitcase.

We have been at other schools where this has not been an issue.

But yes, the list has the potential to be quite helpful.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 8:12 AM, curls said:

If you wouldn't mind, would you please share your recipe for hard candy? I think the batch size you made at the conference is that "just right" amount. Thanks again for sharing all your knowledge. Hope we see you next year!

Sure!  I use a pretty standard recipe:  4 cups sugar, 1 cup water, 2/3 cup corn syrup (or glucose).  Bring to 310 (hard crack). This is a hot/dry recipe.  

You can use more acid for decorations and such if it is to be used quickly, but you may get cold flow if you store it.  That recipe is 5 cups sugar, 1cup +2tbs water, and 3tbs vinegar, 1/2 cup corn syrup. Very similar to this...

Edited by DayGameCandy (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, curls said:

We have been at other schools where this has not been an issue.

My sous, who went to a different school here in town, said that they had to supply their own tools as well for the same reason. Must be a local culinary school culture issue.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

After the workshop I was inspired to try making some bon bons from everything I learned. :) My first try making shells turned out surprisingly well, but I sure made a mess of the kitchen.  😂

Thanks again for sharing your expertise. 

Jon

4208BE5F-5F7B-4AC0-BAE3-93C118AB126E.jpeg

• Like 8

And so it begins - check here for the the Planning thread for the 2020 workshop - to be held at Tomric's wonderful new facility in Buffalo.