• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

Edited as I fear it was way off.  If you are concerned about this, please don't be hesitant about reaching out for help.

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

I hesitate to add anything because I agree with the above posters recommending you talk to a professional.  That said, if it helps - and I hope it does, that it's not purely personal, anecdotal information that does nothing for you - then here it is.

I have a longstanding CNS condition that was misdiagnosed over the 2000's.  I was treated with narcotics, ending up eventually on morphine.  I was addicted.  It took a surge of self-viewing, a reckoning, but I told me family I was done.  I went cold turkey (I do NOT recommend this for anyone - it's just the way I work).  The point is I saw what I'd become and what I'd become, even more, in the life of those I loved.  I ended it.

Moving on to beer.  I was a longtime brewer and industry professional - brewing up to 20 gallons at a time.  I drank beer like it was harmless - because I was crazy not for the buzz, but because craft beers, mine included, were (and are) so damn good.  Having a second - can it be as simple as the fact you simply like the beers you drink?  I am sensually, almost spiritually in love with the smell of malt and hops, fresh, as well as their transformation in the mash tun and kettle (and down the line, with dry hopping, that massive aroma of fresh hops.

Is it possible you simply love beer?  If having a shot, do you crave a second?

If so, if you don't need but love beer, then I'd suggest (again - PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS AS RESPONSIBLE ADVICE.  If you feel this is a problem, please get some professional help!) - it can come down to a matter of health.  For me, having lived in a zen and martial temple up to the time of my marriage in 1997, I went from a healthy martial artist to a grossly unhealthy, morbidly obese person.  It wasn't all beer.  But it was a big part of it.

I am suggesting you take an honest look at your body's needs, and if your health is important to you, think coldly and with conviction whether another beer hurts you.   

Above all else, if you need help, please reach out and take it.  You are eminently worth it.

Beer - that's me in a long shot.  280.

Turning to care for myself and those I love.  225.

I wish the best for you.

Big me.jpg

paul picture butsudan II.jpg