• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
eugenep

How to cope with repressing that strong desire for a 2nd beer

Posted (edited)

I don't know if anyone experienced the same issue and if they can give advise on how they cope with it. 

When I have one beer, it's good and it's like I suddenly have this desire/interest to have another one. 

I mean...it's not like I have one piece of pie, that was good, and then I want another piece of pie. 

It's not the same feeling or desire for pie or other good foods. It's like different, like it's a stronger type of desire that really pushes me and it's like I have to resist with some amount of will power.  

In cigarettes we know it's nicotine but I wonder if it's something they put into the beer sometimes? 

Beer is fermented so I'm guessing that's responsible for its yummy complex and unique taste. 

But so is cheese, prosciutto, and so on. And it's not like I have the same strong desire to have another piece of cheese or ham. 

So..you think there's something in the beer they put in it that gives it that strong pull for another one? 

In potato chips, I believe it's the msg chemicals that create that strong push. 

I read in a book, "Salt, Sugar ,Fat...?" or something that corporate farmers create some kind of sugar fat carb mixture and feed it to pigs and the animals go crazy and keep eating beyond the point that is natural for their bodies. Corporations found they could do the same to humans (just like pigs) so they do similar things with your junk food to make it irresistible good and make you reach for another one. 

The only way I cope with the beer problem is to tell myself "just one beer and when that desire for the 2nd comes ignore it." 

Like..I don't have the desire for 2 or more beers but just one at first. But that....desire...for the 2nd will come after I finish the first and I know it's coming bc of that first drink for some reason. 

I don't think this desire is natural to foods like pie, cheese and so on. And it's not nicotine. So I wonder..what?? 

Edited by Smithy Capitalisation (log)

For potato chips, it's indeed the fat and salt (and, secondarily, the carbs). For beer, it's the alcohol, which acts on several neurotransmitters, especially GABA and serotonin, in a way that most people experience as pleasurable and rewarding. Essentially, your brain has been "short-term" hijacked. And you're correct that fermentation has something to do with its taste appeal; a sobriquet for beer is "liquid bread."

Other than avoiding that first beer, the most practical suggestion I have is to either buy your beer in seven-ounce bottles ("pony") and drink it a little slower than usual. That way you can still drink two bottles but consume only two ounces more than one regular-size bottle. (I'm assuming "regular size" is 12 oz, not 40 oz. :wacko:) If a pony isn't available, you could pour half of your first 12-oz bottle into a suitable glass container (maybe an empty bottle from before), cap or otherwise seal it, then put it back in the fridge until you're ready for your "second."

• Thanks 1

If you have a second beer do you then want a third? I would say that the desire for more alcohol is not the same as the desire for another bowl of chips. Before taking advice from a lot of eGulleters I suggest you talk to someone....more professional. Not that we don't have good intentions here, but.....your question reflects some conflicts about the amount of beer consumption that's good for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

If you have a second beer do you then want a third? I would say that the desire for more alcohol is not the same as the desire for another bowl of chips. Before taking advice from a lot of eGulleters I suggest you talk to someone....more professional. Not that we don't have good intentions here, but.....your question reflects some conflicts about the amount of beer consumption that's good for you.

Good advice, Katie. Mine was "unofficial" advice, of course, but in my non-eG life I'm a (retired) psychologist who specialized in addiction treatment.

• Like 4

Do you feel the same after one alcohol-free beer ..?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Do you feel the same after one alcohol-free beer ..?

never tried alcohol-beer yet bc it feels too unnatural - like fat-free cream etc. 

but - i'm sure it tastes good for some also 

hmmm...but it might be purely the alcohol that's responsible for that increased desire 

I mean, introspectively, Alex seems right and agrees with my experience 

Edited by eugenep (log)

Posted (edited)

I’m of no help with this one. 😁

I would say that wanting a second beer and actually having a few more are different things. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, eugenep said:

it might be purely the alcohol that's responsible

What else could it be?

Presumably you don't have the same reaction with a glass of water. Beer is nearly all water, with some flavoring. And ALCOHOL!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this