• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Exploding Pyrex

weedy

so...

tonight I placed a Pyrex 10" pie plate under the broiler to char some tomatillos and onions (something I've done 100 times before)

then I pulled it out and went to tip it over into the blender jar, and the plate literally exploded into shards in my hand.

It never touched anything, over than perhaps the lip of the polycarbonate blender jar (which was far from 'cold'), when it just burst

anyone else seen this?

I know they don't make Pyrex like they used to (sad to say) but this seemed uncalled for.

I wasn't planning on my salsa being quite this crunchy.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)
  • Sad 2

I've had one explode in the oven, but that was my fault for putting a cold dish in a hot oven.

Helluva mess, too.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

under the broiler will do it just about every time.  the glass rim probably got a lot hotter than the stuff in the pie plate, pouring the 'cold' juice out shocked the hot rim more than it could take.

"Here are just SOME of the Pyrex® Safety and Usage Instructions:

• “NEVER use the product on top of a stove, under a broiler, in a toaster oven or place over oven vent or pilot light.”

Edited by AlaMoi
oops! (log)

5 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

under the broiler will do it just about every time.  the glass rim probably got a lot hotter than the stuff in the pie plate, pouring the 'cold' juice out shocked the hot rim more than it could take.

"Here are just SOME of the Pyrex® Safety and Usage Instructions:

• “NEVER use the product on top of a stove, under a broiler, in a toaster oven or place over oven vent or pilot light.”

300 degree 'juice' cracked the (maybe) 450 degree rim???

seriously?

Edited by weedy (log)

yes, seriously.  borosilicate glass aka Pyrex will withstand about a 340 degree F temperature 'shock' before the thermal stress exceeds the mechanical strength.  the new stuff from tempered soda lime glass is not as resistant to thermal shock.

anything liquid in the pan is not over 212'F plus a bit for 'contaminants'

the max temp differential applies to "perfect" condition - any nicks, chips, etc cause stress risers and it'll shatter 'quicker'

normal wear and tear on 'the good old stuff' most likely has resulted in those kinds of nicks - even microscopic chips count when dealing with stresses in glass....

there are lots of reports exceeded only by the hysteria on the topic - but my all time favorite is the often cited Consumer Reports research which, in the best imitation possible of Myth Busters . . . could not cause it to shatter so they ignored all the rules and managed to shatter one.  if it didn't break, use more C4.....

• Like 1

Corning Pyroceram was made to use in the broiler, rangetop, oven and fridge to oven. Freezer to oven is okay to a cold oven.

Pyrex - even the "Flameware" is NOT FOR USE UNDER A BROILER!  

Cold Pyrex from the fridge is  problematic into a hot oven.  Room temp Pyrex marked BAKEWARE is okay room temp to hot oven UNLESS THERE ARE SCRATCHES ON THE GLASS.  Which is one reason not to use a sharp knife when cutting a pie or anything in a Pyrex loaf or cake pan.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The earrings I'm wearing are borosilicate glass.  For measuring cups I'm holding on to my ancient Pyrex and Anchor Hocking with no markings.  I have old Pyrex baking dishes but I don't bake in them.  Besides they don't fit in the CSO.*

*unlike the Pyroceram baking dishes that I still occasionally pop in the CSO.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The earrings I'm wearing are borosilicate glass.  For measuring cups I'm holding on to my ancient Pyrex and Anchor Hocking with no markings.  I have old Pyrex baking dishes but I don't bake in them.  Besides they don't fit in the CSO.*

*unlike the Pyroceram baking dishes that I still occasionally pop in the CSO.

I get my Pyrex at the big vintage flea market the has plenty every month.. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Some info here.

Does anyone still make things out of borosilicate glass?

Luminarc and Arccuisine  are supposed to be borosilicate. They're both European but I see Luminarc in some stores. I think I read that Luminarc is the spinoff to Europe of the former Pyrex when Corning spun it off, but I may be misremembering the details.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown