• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to find great pastry in Vienna & Salzburg, Austria?

This summer my friend is fulfilling her promise to take her granddaughter (who will graduate high school) on a trip to Austria. The girl is very interested in dessert making, in fact, she makes something different almost every weekend. And she works part time at a local bakery.

They will have about a week. What places would you suggest they visit?

on any street corner.  Konditorei aka coffee and pastry shops abound.  anything off the tourist path will have bazillions of stuff - way more than you can eat - and better pricing.

a search "austrian pasty shops" will produce a lot of results.  just be sure to have a drool bib handy.

let us know her reaction - because European pastries are not as sweet as they look, nor as sweet as American tastes desire.

but sure is good stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prior going to Vienna last year, I used the "My Maps" feature in Google Maps to creative an interactive map: Vienna Cafes and Cake Shops. In addition to pinning the locations on the map, I included address information, as well as text and images that I culled from local travel sites/blogs, which can be viewed (in IE/Edge, at least) by clicking on the name of the café/cake shop in the menu on the left. Have fun!