• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

I grill salmon fillets 2 or 3 times a week.  Every week, year round.   I buy fresh salmon, one side of a large fish that I have the seller fillet.  I bring it home and my DH cuts it into roughly 12-16 oz pieces that we share for one meal (IMO, grilling unskinned or too small pieces results in drier outcome). 

Rinse and pat dry.  Season only the non-skin side.  I use my standard rub or you can sprinkle with equal amounts salt, sugar and paprika (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 tsp each on a 16 oz piece,  I am guessing???  Then to taste, decent sprinkles (1/4 to 3/8 tsp each) of black pepper, cayenne, oregano, thyme, onion and garlic powders.  

Preheat gas grill to 400 degrees.  When at 400 and it has more than 1 burner, turn the burner(s) under the salmon to low and keep the other(s) at 75%  If you have only 1 burner, turn to 1/2 to 3/4 power.  Your temperature should hold between 375 and 415, mas o menos.

Place salmon skin side down, shut the lid. 

Leave it alone for appx. 8 minutes per inch thickness.  Then turn off all the burners, flip salmon to skin side up and leave it on grill for 3 minutes per inch thickness.  Plate and very loosely cover with foil.  Let sit a full 5 minutes per inch thickness.  

We normally serve with or over a simple arugula salad or a cold couscous salad (w/ dried cranberries and pecans and green onion) ether with a simple lemon/dijon vinaigrette.   We serve a dipping sauce for the salmon. normally a cherry-chipotle sauce, once in a while a chipotle mayo, each whipped up in under minute.  

gulfporter

gulfporter

I grill salmon fillets 2 or 3 times a week.  Every week, year round.   I buy fresh salmon, one side of a large fish that I have the seller fillet.  I bring it home and my DH cuts it into roughly 12-16 oz pieces that we share for one meal (IMO, grilling unskinned or too small pieces results in drier outcome). 

Rinse and pat dry.  Season only the non-skin side.  I use my standard rub or you can sprinkle with equal amounts salt, sugar and paprika (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 tsp each on a 16 oz piece,  I am guessing???  Then to taste, decent sprinkles (1/4 to 3/8 tsp each) of black pepper, cayenne, oregano, thyme, onion and garlic powders.  

Preheat gas grill to 400 degrees.  When at 400 and it has more than 1 burner, turn the burner(s) under the salmon to low and keep the other(s) at 75%  If you have only 1 burner, turn to 1/2 to 3/4 power.  Your temperature should hold between 375 and 415, mas o menos.

Leave it alone for appx. 8 minutes per inch thickness.  Then turn off all the burners, flip salmon to skin side up and leave it on grill for 3 minutes per inch thickness.  Plate and very loosely cover with foil.  Let sit a full 5 minutes per inch thickness.  

gulfporter

gulfporter

Rinse and pat dry.  Season only the non-skin side.  I use my standard rub or you can sprinkle with equal amounts salt, sugar and paprika.  Then to taste, decent sprinkles of black pepper, cayenne, oregano, thyme, onion and garlic powders.  

Preheat gas grill to 400 degrees.  When at 400 and it has more than 1 burner, turn the burner(s) under the salmon to low and keep the other(s) at 75%  Your temperature should hold between 375 and 415, mas o menos.