• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

A few drinks from the "Sips" chapter of Season.

Pomegranate Moscow Mule p 244.
No vodka in the house, but Audrey Saunder's Gin-Gin Mule is a favorite of mine so I made this with gin and I recommend trying it if you happen to be a gin lover (or out of vodka 🙃)
I also don't have proper copper Moscow mule mugs so I parked some thick bottomed glasses in the freezer to make them nice and frosty. The recipe would nicely fill 2 - 3 of these generously-sized double old fashioned cocktail glasses.

IMG_0698.thumb.jpg.f6b328ea2f34ae7c0961fb3017fb0000.jpg
It's garnished with lime peel and ground anardana (dried pomegranate seeds)

Cardamom Iced Coffee with Coconut Milk p 239
I used to grind cardamom along with my coffee beans all the time so I figured I would like this iced coffee. I might have added a splash of coconut rum 🙃

IMG_0726.thumb.jpg.a106fab3e4f9e36975082abb71ec419f.jpg
The intensity of cardamom flavor was OK in the drink but not super strong.  Since I wanted to try this combination as a popsicle,  I made a cardamom-infused jaggery syrup to sweeten them also enjoyed it in a cardamom Old Fashioned.  

Ginger & Tamarind Refresher p 228
I prepped my tamarind (which was rock hard and almost black in color) per the instructions on p 252 and found it quite a lot of work to push through the sieve. It's mildly annoying to me that the book includes that staple tamarind recipe but none of the recipes that call for tamarind paste actually refer back to it and tell you how much of that prep to use but instead have instructions within the recipe to prep just the needed quantity.  

Anyway, after that labor plus making the ginger syrup (I used jaggery again), I was certainly in the mood for refreshment so the Ginger & Tamarind Refresher was perfect.

1903888425_IMG_0732(1).thumb.jpg.6eb00d16d40c78c4bfd1d4507c0ff53d.jpg

This would be easy to adjust the intensity of this by adding more or less club soda.
I know tamarind paletas with chili are popular so I liked the idea of using ginger for the "bite" and used some leftover ginger beer instead of club soda to translate this into popsicles. That made me think that adding some dark rum for a tamarind dark & stormy might not be a bad idea!

Edited to add that the popsicles I based on the last 2 recipes can be seen over here in the Popsicle thread.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

A few drinks from the "Sips" chapter of Season.

Pomegranate Moscow Mule p 244.
No vodka in the house, but Audrey Saunder's Gin-Gin Mule is a favorite of mine so I made this with gin and I recommend trying it if you happen to be a gin lover (or out of vodka 🙃)
I also don't have proper copper Moscow mule mugs so I parked some thick bottomed glasses in the freezer to make them nice and frosty. The recipe would nicely fill 2 - 3 of these generously-sized double old fashioned cocktail glasses.

IMG_0698.thumb.jpg.f6b328ea2f34ae7c0961fb3017fb0000.jpg
It's garnished with lime peel and ground anardana (dried pomegranate seeds)

Cardamom Iced Coffee with Coconut Milk p 239
I used to grind cardamom along with my coffee beans all the time so I figured I would like this iced coffee. I might have added a splash of coconut rum 🙃

IMG_0726.thumb.jpg.a106fab3e4f9e36975082abb71ec419f.jpg
The intensity of cardamom flavor was OK in the drink but not super strong.  Since I wanted to try this combination as a popsicle,  I made a cardamom-infused jaggery syrup to sweeten them also enjoyed it in a cardamom Old Fashioned.  

Ginger & Tamarind Refresher p 228
I prepped my tamarind (which was rock hard and almost black in color) per the instructions on p 252 and found it quite a lot of work to push through the sieve. It's mildly annoying to me that the book includes that staple tamarind recipe but none of the recipes that call for tamarind paste actually refer back to it and tell you how much of that prep to use but instead have instructions within the recipe to prep just the needed quantity.  

Anyway, after that labor plus making the ginger syrup (I used jaggery again), I was certainly in the mood for refreshment so the Ginger & Tamarind Refresher was perfect.

1903888425_IMG_0732(1).thumb.jpg.6eb00d16d40c78c4bfd1d4507c0ff53d.jpg

This would be easy to adjust the intensity of this by adding more or less club soda.
I know tamarind paletas with chili are popular so I liked the idea of using ginger for the "bite" and used some leftover ginger beer instead of club soda to translate this into popsicles. That made me think that adding some dark rum for a tamarind dark & stormy might not be a bad idea!