• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

A few egg dishes from Season.  Edited to add that aside from basic boiled and fried egg recipes in the back of the book this is, in fact, ALL of the egg recipes in Season 🙃

Deviled Eggs with Creamy Tahini and Za'tar p 144.

These eggs are made with Greek yogurt, walnut oil, tahini and lemon juice instead of the customary mayo and seasoned with za'atar. The texture of the yolks is light and creamy. I like the use of tahini and will try that again and maybe add to egg salad.  Not sure the walnut oil added much.

IMG_0751.thumb.jpg.dfd111667528f9e671f955a359c2af47.jpg

For my taste buds, without mustard or horseradish, these lack the bite they need to be truly devilish 😈, maybe the baby mustard green garnish that I omitted would have helped but the baby greens I've found are pretty mild. That said, I liked trying a different variation. 

Egg Salad with Toasted Coriander  p 143. 
The egg salad sandwiches of my childhood did not contain the toasted coriander, roasted garlic, Thai chile, chives or hot sauce called for here so this doesn't scratch the comfort food itch that usually prompts me to make egg salad for lunch but the flavors are interesting.  The amount of mayo - 1/4 cup for 6 eggs makes the mixture a bit on the dry side, especially after mixing a full 1T of toasted and ground coriander seeds. 

1178485056_IMG_0687(1).jpg.623c941422a5dab2cb153652e29d7121.jpg

Served crostini-style on toasted slices from a whole grain baguette.  Makes for a good appetizer and is nice as a spread on crackers. 

I made a mini, 3-egg version of the Bombay Frittata from Season p 137. 
It's a flavorful variation with red onion, scallions, garlic, cilantro, garam masala, turmeric, red chile and paneer.  I was going to make the paneer but when I realized that I'd only need 7.5 g for this little pan, I went with the alternate of feta.

IMG_0711.thumb.jpg.a2a49e39879d00d1427c8fc4c865bf27.jpg

I served it with an arugula salad dressed with Shaya's preserved lemon vinaigrette and a few of the Red Onions with Coriander p 274, mentioned in a post above.

IMG_0714.thumb.jpg.146f35f73d5be1ca340d273b0e4b737b.jpg

Not pictured, but an essential egg condiment for me was a healthy dollop of Suvir Saran's tomato chutney which has been a staple in my kitchen for many years.

Baked Eggs with Artichoke Hearts p 140.
This was a win in flavor and a fail in execution.  Seasonings are black pepper, cloves, fenugreek seeds, nutmeg, garlic, shallot, lemon juice, chives and serrano chile and are mixed with cubed sourdough, mozzarella and artichoke hearts. I made a half recipe and baked it in a standard loaf pan. Perhaps because of that change or my oven's variations, the eggs were cooked to my liking at ~ 12 minutes. There was no browning of the bread at that point and they were pretty much hard cooked by the time the bread had browned which took a bit longer than the predicted 16-18 minutes.

IMG_0694.thumb.jpg.bbbcd5aec781ac4c0ab725662ec2e890.jpg

It was still absolutely delicious, though I wish I'd had a nice runny yolk to contrast with the crispy, flavorful bread cubes!
Next time, I'll just bake the mixture alone and put a fried or poached egg on top.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

A few egg dishes from Season.

Deviled Eggs with Creamy Tahini and Za'tar p 144.

These eggs are made with Greek yogurt, walnut oil, tahini and lemon juice instead of the customary mayo and seasoned with za'atar. The texture of the yolks is light and creamy. I like the use of tahini and will try that again and maybe add to egg salad.  Not sure the walnut oil added much.

IMG_0751.thumb.jpg.dfd111667528f9e671f955a359c2af47.jpg

For my taste buds, without mustard or horseradish, these lack the bite they need to be truly devilish 😈, maybe the baby mustard green garnish that I omitted would have helped but the baby greens I've found are pretty mild. That said, I liked trying a different variation. 

Egg Salad with Toasted Coriander  p 143. 
The egg salad sandwiches of my childhood did not contain the toasted coriander, roasted garlic, Thai chile, chives or hot sauce called for here so this doesn't scratch the comfort food itch that usually prompts me to make egg salad for lunch but the flavors are interesting.  The amount of mayo - 1/4 cup for 6 eggs makes the mixture a bit on the dry side, especially after mixing a full 1T of toasted and ground coriander seeds. 

1178485056_IMG_0687(1).jpg.623c941422a5dab2cb153652e29d7121.jpg

Served crostini-style on toasted slices from a whole grain baguette.  Makes for a good appetizer and is nice as a spread on crackers. 

I made a mini, 3-egg version of the Bombay Frittata from Season p 137. 
It's a flavorful variation with red onion, scallions, garlic, cilantro, garam masala, turmeric, red chile and paneer.  I was going to make the paneer but when I realized that I'd only need 7.5 g for this little pan, I went with the alternate of feta.

IMG_0711.thumb.jpg.a2a49e39879d00d1427c8fc4c865bf27.jpg

I served it with an arugula salad dressed with Shaya's preserved lemon vinaigrette and a few of the Red Onions with Coriander p 274, mentioned in a post above.

IMG_0714.thumb.jpg.146f35f73d5be1ca340d273b0e4b737b.jpg

Not pictured, but an essential egg condiment for me was a healthy dollop of Suvir Saran's tomato chutney which has been a staple in my kitchen for many years.

Baked Eggs with Artichoke Hearts p 140.
This was a win in flavor and a fail in execution.  Seasonings are black pepper, cloves, fenugreek seeds, nutmeg, garlic, shallot, lemon juice, chives and serrano chile and are mixed with cubed sourdough, mozzarella and artichoke hearts. I made a half recipe and baked it in a standard loaf pan. Perhaps because of that change or my oven's variations, the eggs were cooked to my liking at ~ 12 minutes. There was no browning of the bread at that point and they were pretty much hard cooked by the time the bread had browned which took a bit longer than the predicted 16-18 minutes.

IMG_0694.thumb.jpg.bbbcd5aec781ac4c0ab725662ec2e890.jpg

It was still absolutely delicious, though I wish I'd had a nice runny yolk to contrast with the crispy, flavorful bread cubes!
Next time, I'll just bake the mixture alone and put a fried or poached egg on top.