• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Yesterday, I made the Spiced Meatloaf p 167 which is very moist from plenty of onion, garlic, fresh ginger, grated apples and lots of mint and parsley.  It's seasoned with garam masala, coriander, cayenne, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce and bound with egg and breadcrumbs.  It gets a ketchup:pomegranate molasses glaze that includes amchur for tartness and cayenne for a little heat.   The apples and the glaze combine to nudge the flavor profile to the sweet side, though there is a decent savory balance, too.  

IMG_0767.thumb.jpg.c9f0e63b0b54a2138f1682a848c98922.jpg

I made a small 1/2 lb meatloaf (1/4 of the given 2 lb recipe) and just realized in typing this that I used half quantities of most ingredients.  Oooops!  It's no wonder mine was so moist 🙃

My real reason for making the meatloaf was to have leftovers and here's what I had in mind:

IMG_0776.thumb.jpg.7f2a9e82a797a01e06e2de481b2990b0.jpg

Toasted slices of whole wheat baguette with a healthy smear of Hot Green Chutney, warmed slices of the meatloaf, topped with the pickled Red Onions with Coriander p 274.  That last item is a nice quick pickle with both coriander leaves and seeds in apple cider vinegar.  

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Yesterday, I made the Spiced Meatloaf p 167 which is very moist from plenty of onion, garlic, fresh ginger, grated apples and lots of mint and parsley.  It's seasoned with garam masala, coriander, cayenne, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce and bound with egg and breadcrumbs.  It gets a ketchup:pomegranate molasses glaze that includes amchur for tartness and cayenne for a little heat.   The apples and the glaze combine to nudge the flavor profile to the sweet side, though there is a decent savory balance, too.  

IMG_0767.thumb.jpg.c9f0e63b0b54a2138f1682a848c98922.jpg

I made a small 1/2 lb meatloaf and just realized in typing this that I used half quantities of most ingredients.  Oooops!  It's no wonder mine was so moist 🙃

My real reason for making the meatloaf was to have leftovers and here's what I had in mind:

IMG_0776.thumb.jpg.7f2a9e82a797a01e06e2de481b2990b0.jpg

Toasted slices of whole wheat baguette with a healthy smear of Hot Green Chutney, warmed slices of the meatloaf, topped with the pickled Red Onions with Coriander p 274.  That last item is a nice quick pickle with both coriander leaves and seeds in apple cider vinegar.