• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add link

The other recipe from Season that I mentioned in my first post is the Curry Leaf Popcorn Chicken p 48 (recipe available online here in Bon Appetit)which is served with a Spiced Maple-Vinegar Syrup p 200 or Hot Green Chutney p 277.  I recommend both, but then I always want both the sweet/tart tamarind chutney and the fresh/spicy mint chutney with my samosas!   I had some little bay scallops from Trader Joe's in my freezer and thought it would be fun to use them here.  I made the marinade with kefir instead of buttermilk because it's what I had on hand and "marinade" is rather a stretch because I only let them sit in there for about half an hour or so while I set up everything else. I don't think scallops were going to absorb a ton of flavor but the mixture does become part of the coating so I didn't want to skip it entirely as it's an opportunity to add ginger, garlic, lime juice, etc. that aren't part of the dredging mixture which includes cardamom, cumin, coriander, black pepper, cayenne, salt and a little baking powder and soda. 

IMG_0763.thumb.jpg.9588ad295ac331ce8ce40e085b8cf2fb.jpg

These little scallops didn't really need all these seasonings to be delicious but it was still fun.  I'd like to try this with chicken livers next.

The Hot Green Chutney is made with arugula and kale, red onion, lime juice, garlic, serene chiles, caraway, coriander and cumin.  The syrup is a quick mixture of maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, black, white and pink peppercorns, fennel and coriander.  It comes from a recipe for broiled peaches that I'm looking forward to trying. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

The other recipe from Season that I mentioned in my first post is the Curry Leaf Popcorn Chicken p 48 which is served with a Spiced Maple-Vinegar Syrup p 200 or Hot Green Chutney p 277.  I recommend both, but then I always want both the sweet/tart tamarind chutney and the fresh/spicy mint chutney with my samosas!   I had some little bay scallops from Trader Joe's in my freezer and thought it would be fun to use them here.  I made the marinade with kefir instead of buttermilk because it's what I had on hand and "marinade" is rather a stretch because I only let them sit in there for about half an hour or so while I set up everything else. I don't think scallops were going to absorb a ton of flavor but the mixture does become part of the coating so I didn't want to skip it entirely as it's an opportunity to add ginger, garlic, lime juice, etc. that aren't part of the dredging mixture which includes cardamom, cumin, coriander, black pepper, cayenne, salt and a little baking powder and soda. 

IMG_0763.thumb.jpg.9588ad295ac331ce8ce40e085b8cf2fb.jpg

These little scallops didn't really need all these seasonings to be delicious but it was still fun.  I'd like to try this with chicken livers next.

The Hot Green Chutney is made with arugula and kale, red onion, lime juice, garlic, serene chiles, caraway, coriander and cumin.  The syrup is a quick mixture of maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, black, white and pink peppercorns, fennel and coriander.  It comes from a recipe for broiled peaches that I'm looking forward to trying.