• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Okanagancook

2019 Farmers Markets

Starting a new thread for this year's bounty.

I went to my first Penticton Market this morning.  It's been going for a few weeks.  

It is divided into produce which must be grown locally and other stuff.....soaps, trinkets, etc.

At 8:30 start time a bunch of kids run the full block with hand bells ringing in the Market opening as all the vendors clap....they get pretty slow near the end.

There are a lot of small farms throughout the Okanagan and it is interesting to see people find a niche.  Last year a gal started a sprout company and now she supplies a lot of the Winery Bistros as well as a huge selection for sale at the market.  I got a litre container (packed) of pea shoots from her this morning.  

Then there is the fellow who started a mushroom farm a year or so ago here:  https://www.wtfmushrooms.ca

I got some beautiful oyster mushrooms.  The chap ahead of me in line didn't have his money with him and the mushroom seller just game him the $20 box on the proviso he get paid next time...the chap apparently shops the market every Saturday so there was no hesitation "yeah, catch me next time".   Gotta love it.

They have created an ally area where the food trucks are.  This is new from last year.  I bought some "cheese" bread from one of the trucks, chatting with the lady behind the counter.  They are all sour dough and lots of different kinds.  Her so called 'cheese' bread consists of white bread with about 2 tablespoons of cheese sprinkled on top of the loaf.  VERY disappointed and I think I will let her know about my disappointment next time I am there.  

Another couple bought a large farm in the next valley over.  Her husband grows garlic and she makes bread in this wonderful wood oven that was on the property when they purchased it.  Wonderful bread, wonderfully expensive at $9 for a smallish loaf.

Anyway here's a picture of my haul today.  I got that lovely cloth bag too.

DSC03032.thumb.jpg.220fade379692e0b1100a5f1be76b7a8.jpgDSC03033.thumb.jpg.42aa141373fdab343e09802500c69541.jpg

• Like 7

Well, the cheese bread is still pretty. I make one with cheese and browned sausage kneaded into the dough that I like a lot; I call it breakfast bread. Makes a great egg salad sandwich!

• Like 2

I went out to the market where I used to be a vendor, for the first time in a couple of years, and said hello to the handful of familiar faces who were there (it's still early in the season, so many of them aren't coming out yet).

Bought a bag of fiddleheads, one of radish microgreens, and some baby carrots. Ate Syrian food (hurray for recent arrivals!).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Well, the cheese bread is still pretty. I make one with cheese and browned sausage kneaded into the dough that I like a lot; I call it breakfast bread. Makes a great egg salad sandwich!

Now that’s more like it.  Sausage is always a welcome addition.  A bakery in our old town used to make cheese buns about the size of a Costco muffin.  It was riddled with cheese in the middle and crispy brown bits of cheese on the outside.  I guess I will have to make my own.

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Well, now, that sounds interesting.  Can you tell us more about it?

• Thanks 1

I use my basic white bread recipe -- 4 1/2 cups flour, 1 packet yeast, 2 tbsp softened butter, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1 1/4 cup warm water. I brown a half-pound of breakfast sausage, breaking up the lumps, and let it drain on paper towels and cool. I grate a couple of cups of whatever kind of cheese is handy -- sharp cheddar is good, but I've also used a mix of whatever kinds of odds and ends I have in the cheese drawer. I turn the dough out onto a counter and knead the sausage and cheese into it, let it rise, shape it into two 8 x 4 loaf pans, let it rise again, and bake it. It makes wonderful toast with an over easy egg on top, and I've made open faced egg salad sandwiches with it as part of a brunch. It's awfully good just buttered with some jelly.

This makes a moderately crumbly bread, so it's not the best for any sort of major sandwich production, but it works well with soft spreads like egg salad.

FWIW, that recipe is also the same that I use for dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls, and I've also made pizza rolls and ham and cheese rolls like you would cinnamon rolls with it. If I'm not kneading anything into the dough, I don't knead much at all -- just two or three minutes. It makes a wonderfully soft, light roll or bread.

• Like 3

Ditto re thanks.

My DH said not to worry about the cheese bread...she told me she sells out every week.....? I wonder.

She is unlikely to be open to feed back....maybe I will take her a slice of sausage cheese bread😮

• Haha 3