• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2019 Farmers Markets

Okanagancook

Penticton Farmers Market is probably at it's peak.  So much available.  I walked the block of vendors on two sides twice before the delightful children ran down the street centre rings the bell signalling it's time to shop!  I need to make a list of what I have and then find some nice things to do with them.  The mushrooms are going with the lamb chops tonight for sure.

Three pictures of the pile of goodies.  Kale, sweet red peppers, Anaheim pepper, shishito peppers, Chipoline onions, corn, green onions, sprouts, "Creole" tomatoes (this are terrible....dry and tasteless 😩..there were so many tomatoes for sale and I chose these..sheesh), morels and yellow Chanterelle mushroom, eggplants, celery root, large sweet onion that is now in the oven becoming cartelized and Silken Apples.  

These are rare beauties in these parts...Summerland Research Centre is just across the lake from me.

Description/Taste
Silken apples are medium sized with porcelain yellow, cream-colored skin with the occasional light pink blush on the side most exposed to the sun. There is some russeting (rough skin) in the stem bowl. This apple has vibrant white flesh that is firm, crisp, juicy, and aromatic. Silken apples are known for their sweet flavor and moderate acidity. 

Seasons/Availability
Silken apples are available for a short season in the late summer. 

Current Facts
Silken apples are an early season, dessert variety. They were developed in Canada as a cross between Honeygold and Sunrise apples. The hybrid Malus domestica variety is known for its translucent skin, sweet flavor and crisp texture. 

Applications
Silken apples are marketed as a dessert apple, likely for their sweet flavor and crisp texture. Silken apples hold their shape when cooked. Thinly slice Silken apples for pies and tarts or dice and mix into muffins. Silken apples keep for up to three weeks when stored in a cool environment. 

Geography/History
Silken apples were developed at the Pacific Agri-Food Research Centre in Summerland, British Columbia in 1982. The variety wasn’t introduced into the market until 1999, after much testing, reviewing and market research. Silken apples are not available in many areas and are primarily grown in small orchards. 

DSC03233.thumb.jpg.8866118cc798b2508b7048af6f3bba79.jpgDSC03234.thumb.jpg.8ee4a3fd3038b5c4556d6265a504a251.jpgDSC03235.thumb.jpg.48bcb36b7e40255f2e28270198e44748.jpg

• Like 7

NOT a farmer's market but a farm stand (Story's Farm in Catskill, NY).  They do also feature products from other local producers.  3 ears of their corn.  For whatever reason(I suspect cool temperatures and late rain) the corn her in NW NJ has no taste this year.  This stuff tasted like corn!!  Friends told me the tomatoes up in the valley were ok - so brought them some from here.  Local shallots, b potatoes, cranberry beans, wax beans and two different melons I will nurture along to maturity.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Apparently pluots are the "thing" here now. A friend brought some from local FM. It took a few days of counter sitting but they were quite flavorful. The color variety is interesting as well. Yellow, pale green, deep purple. Nit my orchard ones but those trees aged out. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

plac.thumb.jpg.61c2f65b9eb8237edc47ac94885a9765.jpg

Yesterday was a nice day for a visit to local farmers' market... :)

Edited to add a great shot from google maps..

plac_maps.thumb.jpg.9d3b8004dc6b1611f5fd0c95db4afd52.jpg

Edited by Wolf (log)
  • Like 5

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

@heidih Glad to hear it! :D Give him best regards and best wishes from homeland. . :D

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

• 3 weeks later...

We went to the Jean Talon market in Montreal yesterday.  It is about the size of a city block, maybe bigger with an assortment of shops around the perimeter.  I took some pictures to show you the diversity of goods on offer.  I did not take any pictures of the vegetables because I figure once you've seen one carrot, you've seen them all.  In addition to the vegetables, fall fruit was on offer, including many varieties of apples.  Here are some of the more interesting items for sale:

20191009_110610.jpg

20191009_110617.jpg

20191009_110905.jpg

20191009_111711.jpg

20191009_112904.jpg

20191009_114859.jpg

The first two pictures is of our favourite stand - hot peppers.  Next is a pastry shop, followed by flowers, one of several cheese shops, a stall specializing in mushrooms and a display of oysters at a fishmongers.

20191009_120222.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

In this same market, there are butchers, a place that sells olive oils and olives, a shop devoted to nothing but spices, eggs, charcuterie, maple syrup, more cheese, etc.  There are also places where you can grab a bite to eat, including a place that sells arepa, churro, empanadas and the like.  It is very diverse which is why we like to go once or twice a year.  We'd probably go more often but the traffic there is nuts, absolutely bonkers.  At the market we purchased the following items:

1 pound Scotch Bonnet peppers for hot sauce

20191009_174836.jpg

At the mushroom place we bought some fresh yellow foot chanterelles, wild mushroom oil, wild grape "balsamic" and wild mushroom vinaigrette.  At the olive oil store, we bought three different kinds of olives, not shown.  The last picture is of Portugese eggs tarts and canelles.  This place was next to the place that sold churros but we ate those before I remembered to take a picture.

20191009_174718.jpg

20191009_175200.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

This is not part of the farmers market per se but it is one of the reasons we went there, mainly so we could go to Schwartz's and also Patisserie Kouign Amann.  At Schwatz's John had the smoked meat sandwich  (I don't know what happened to the picture but the sandwich was huge) and we bought 4 pounds of smoked brisket and a big jar of their pickles.  At Patisserie Kouign Amann we bought a 12" kouign amann and 2 chocolatines.

All in all a great day except for the driving in downtown Montreal.

20191009_133148.jpg

20191009_175330.jpg

Edited to add:  the picture of Schwartz's is for @rotuts.  It was taken when we left the place.  When we first got there, the restaurant was jammed and I'd guess there were at least 50 people lined up to get in.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 6

@ElsieD

thank you for the pics of S's

I have not been there for quite some time.   I understand there are lines there all the time

\

back in My Day

'76 - 79  I never saw a line

\

full they were , and delicious 

but no line

I think this is what you get  ( and all the better for S's or who ever took it over )

from tying with your Thumbs.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Funny, but I thought the traffic at Jean-Talon (we were just there the last weekend of September) was not a problem. I guess it depends on where one is coming from before ending up in Montreal.

I love these, and we ate haricots at 3 different restaurants!

DSC00321.thumb.JPG.73c2b3b3c156c7227a7eca13e594503b.JPG

Speaking to one of the excellent vendors, who had a huge orchard stand located around the perimeter, he told me that Jean-Talon is the largest outdoor farmer's market in North America.  Now, whether or not to believe him is another story. 

DSC00326.thumb.JPG.217fd610c0009ba2c334efaddc65b085.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Funny, but I thought the traffic at Jean-Talon (we were just there the last weekend of September) was not a problem. I guess it depends on where one is coming from before ending up in Montreal.

I love these, and we ate haricots at 3 different restaurants!

DSC00321.thumb.JPG.73c2b3b3c156c7227a7eca13e594503b.JPG

Speaking to one of the excellent vendors, who had a huge orchard stand located around the perimeter, he told me that Jean-Talon is the largest outdoor farmer's market in North America.  Now, whether or not to believe him is another story. 

DSC00326.thumb.JPG.217fd610c0009ba2c334efaddc65b085.JPG

I think it depends on the day of the week.  We have gone the night before and hit the market first thing and then fled for home.  That works out well.  Weekends are not too bad.  Weekdays are not so great, especially if you have to take route 15 to get on the 40.   The traffic won't stop me from going as I think it is a fabulous market and most of the vendors are keen to tell you about their products.

Nice produce shots.

• Like 1

We have only gone to Atwater once and decided we preferred Jean Talon.  Did you see/talk to the mushroom guy?  He had an astounding variety.  I hope you enjoyed Montreal.  If I remember correctly, you were planning on eating at Joe Beef?

The mushroom guy at Jean-Talon has a wonderful selection.

Always enjoy Montreal, and Joe Beef; and even though they screwed up our reservation , it worked out fine.  All of our meals were worthy.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

Its getting down to the end of the season here in PA. Lots of root vegetables and cauliflower (in different shades).

I'll miss it. The prices are great and the stuff is very fresh and grown locally.

083.thumb.jpg.e50e8a0e6e2446c13d641c17399e3890.jpg

085.thumb.jpg.402d8b4302efc11f7cb801b93cfc1605.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The last of it at a local farmer's barn.  Its a young family +/- a few other folks who help out , trying to make it as a CSA. Terrible prices, nice folks.

I suspect that t hey buy the apples at auction.

019.thumb.jpg.68cdb40b687284d834350f1e9a4952fc.jpg020.thumb.jpg.79ce4e7a734b8975c2c9907281502ec2.jpg021.thumb.jpg.c3b32f27564608c71f39d3d689a1ac43.jpg022.thumb.jpg.9f9c17e32670cb51db8d889d9d4cfc67.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

A while back I mentioned that my local farmers market had closed down for renovation, but would re-open in two months. Today, five months later, it finally reappeared. I was nearby and thought I would check to see if there was any progress, so was happily surprised to see it open. I must admit they have done a good job and it looks brighter and cleaner, but smaller. Most, but not all of my favourite vendors were there. I didn't really need anything, but couldn't resist these beauties.

20191229_114007.thumb.jpg.456a9da279754a9a5fd4d348fd3b6043.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
typos (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto