• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Light/Acidic Sides to Pair with Extremely Rich, Fatty Foods

sinkerinthedirt

26 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

I like cucumbers vacuum-infused with lime juice. If you want to turn it into a full "dish" you can just marinade cucumbers and thinly sliced red onion in lime juice with some sugar and a dash of fish sauce. Throw in some mixed herbs like cilantro or mint or thai basil or whatever at the end. You can do that with or without a chamber vacuum, but it sure looks prettier if you compress it.  

Cucumber and short ribs. There was a lime-zest and herb infused macadameia nut oil on the plate too. Citrus oils aren't acidic, but their aromatic qualities can help balance a dish. Also the Modernist Cuisine oxtail demi that has asian infusions. There's a lot of tamarind paste in the glaze to brighten up what is a quite thick and protein-rich glaze. That sauce is freaking magic, but it's a lot of work. If you make it in double quantity, you can freeze what you don't use. 

short_ribs_demi_cucumbers.thumb.jpg.45402fb867f8a2fa24746e3141d993b7.jpg

And here's a vacuum infused cucumber, red onion, and cilantro salad with that dressing I was talking about. Sometimes I use honey instead of sugar. And I usually use a less refined sugar if I don't have Thai rock on hand. That stuff can be hard to dissolve if you don't bang it out in a mortar first, and who has the time for all that?!

Pho_ga_cucumbersalad.thumb.jpg.9ec29ebee95d5857f2ac837058791dac.jpg

Good god compressed cucumber is beautiful.

Anyway, with wagyu you need to punch people in the face:

Wasabi. Horseradish. Mustard. Acid. Fermented vegetables.

In a 4-5oz portion, there is a lot of fat, especially if it's one of the higher grades. Give people big piles of different salts on their plate, and grind some fresh cracked pepper on the side for them. Allow them to season as they go (but season the meat when you cook it, obviously...). Let people be their own Salt Bae. And Pepper Bae. Some boutique soy sauces would be good too. I have a few on hand that would be bangers, including a smoked soy sauce I got from Toiro kitchen. I might also try curing the wagyu between kombu and/or using seaweed salt in your prep work. I have some Japanese ayu fish sauce that's amazing and very hammy -- one of Dave Arnold's favorites. It would probably be even better than Red Boat. Speaking of, Blis makes a barrel aged Red Boat fish sauce that would be great for dipping. Make some nuoc cham, in whatever form or fashion you want.

The point is, there are options. 

Looks great!  There is palm sugar available in non-rock form... it comes in a small plastic tub with a screw cap.  It has the consistency of a thick paste - or maybe like maple sugar candies that are soft and have a wet sand texture.  When you first open the jar, the sugar is covered by a layer of wax that must be removed, but then scoops out easily with a teaspoon.  If it starts to dry out, you can stick it in teh microwave for 10 seconds which will make it easier to scoop temporarily.

22 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I like cucumbers vacuum-infused with lime juice. If you want to turn it into a full "dish" you can just marinade cucumbers and thinly sliced red onion in lime juice with some sugar and a dash of fish sauce. Throw in some mixed herbs like cilantro or mint or thai basil or whatever at the end. You can do that with or without a chamber vacuum, but it sure looks prettier if you compress it.  

Cucumber and short ribs. There was a lime-zest and herb infused macadameia nut oil on the plate too. Citrus oils aren't acidic, but their aromatic qualities can help balance a dish. Also the Modernist Cuisine oxtail demi that has asian infusions. There's a lot of tamarind paste in the glaze to brighten up what is a quite thick and protein-rich glaze. That sauce is freaking magic, but it's a lot of work. If you make it in double quantity, you can freeze what you don't use. 

short_ribs_demi_cucumbers.thumb.jpg.45402fb867f8a2fa24746e3141d993b7.jpg

And here's a vacuum infused cucumber, red onion, and cilantro salad with that dressing I was talking about. Sometimes I use honey instead of sugar. And I usually use a less refined sugar if I don't have Thai rock on hand. That stuff can be hard to dissolve if you don't bang it out in a mortar first, and who has the time for all that?!

Pho_ga_cucumbersalad.thumb.jpg.9ec29ebee95d5857f2ac837058791dac.jpg

Good god compressed cucumber is beautiful.

Anyway, with wagyu you need to punch people in the face:

Wasabi. Horseradish. Mustard. Acid. Fermented vegetables.

In a 4-5oz portion, there is a lot of fat, especially if it's one of the higher grades. Give people big piles of different salts on their plate, and grind some fresh cracked pepper on the side for them. Allow them to season as they go (but season the meat when you cook it, obviously...). Let people be their own Salt Bae. And Pepper Bae. Some boutique soy sauces would be good too. I have a few on hand that would be bangers, including a smoked soy sauce I got from Toiro kitchen. I might also try curing the wagyu between kombu and/or using seaweed salt in your prep work. I have some Japanese ayu fish sauce that's amazing and very hammy -- one of Dave Arnold's favorites. It would probably be even better than Red Boat. Speaking of, Blis makes a barrel aged Red Boat fish sauce that would be great for dipping. Make some nuoc cham, in whatever form or fashion you want.

The point is, there are options. 

This is perfect! Great idea. I'd compressed some Strawberries for dessert, this is a great way to show the range of the technique. 

Thank you everyone on the thread for your ideas. Dinner is tonight. Menu is below:

First Course:

Caviar & Bone Marrow

Bubbles or Vodka

Second Course

14oz Kobe Ribeye

Salmorejo

'14 Gamble Family Heartblock Sauv Blanc

Third Course

13oz Kagoshima Ribeye, 6oz Kagoshime tenderloin filet, Miyazaki 12oz Ribeye

Pickled White Asparagus & Green Beans, Curry Pickled Carrots, Kimchi

'94 Muga Rioja

Fourth Course