• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramp Oil - Helping a friend

TicTac

A friend of mine has access to a very large patch of Ramps in their forest and is considering making some Ramp Oil (using only sustainable harvesting techniques - aka leaving the roots in ground) for sale.

What would you folks pay for a 500ml jar of hand ground ramp oil (using good quality EVOO)?

I was thinking in the $20-30 range (for context, a small handful of ramps sell for $5 at markets here and a jar would take at least 3-4 times that much) but wanted to get feedback from others.

This stuff is gold, I have jars still in my freezer and it goes on almost everything!

3 hours ago, TicTac said:

A friend of mine has access to a very large patch of Ramps in their forest and is considering making some Ramp Oil (using only sustainable harvesting techniques - aka leaving the roots in ground) for sale.

What would you folks pay for a 500ml jar of hand ground ramp oil (using good quality EVOO)?

I was thinking in the $20-30 range (for context, a small handful of ramps sell for $5 at markets here and a jar would take at least 3-4 times that much) but wanted to get feedback from others.

This stuff is gold, I have jars still in my freezer and it goes on almost everything!

My 2 cents:

If it's really great stuff, your friend might consider packaging it in smaller bottles: 100 ml - like artisanal balsamic - 125 ml or 250 ml 

I would be reluctant to pay $20 or $30 for something I've never tried but might go for a smaller bottle. 

Both of those first 2 comments are moot in my case because I'd never purchase infused oils prepared in a home kitchen because of botulism concerns. 

• Like 3

That’s really the worry. A field plant infused oil is a botulism risk. Keep it frozen, no big deal. But that’s a long story to include with a farmers market purchase. 

Re the product,  I think I’d use a neutral oil rather than evoo. 

Edited by gfweb (log)

Thanks for the feedback - perhaps have 2 size options, a smaller 100-150ml and a larger 500ml for those passionate about it.

We have made our own (from their ramps) and have had their oils for years now - never an issue.  It will last years in the freezer and weeks in the fridge, easily. 

And yes, hand ground means mortar and pestle - it is a far superior product than destroying the cell walls  and adding air with a blender.