• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric can openers - 2019

Darienne

Looked for a suitable topic to add on to, but couldn't find one.  Sorry.

It's 2019 and what are eGers buying for reliable electric can openers?  We've tossed two different ones over the years...just quit working way too soon...but are in great need of such a thing now.  I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and as I live in Ontario, and in an under-serviced area at that, have no chance of having surgery for a good long time now.   An electric can opener would be a boon.

Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, lindag said:

Are you wanting a hand-held model or wall-mount, or does it matter?

Hadn't thought about it.  We've always had a counter sitting type so that's all I was imagining.  I'd rather not have a wall-mount I guess.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

It looks like the options are mainly the countertop type at $40-ish and under (Hamilton Beach, Proctor-Silex, Cusinart etc) or the under-counter kind at a couple of hundred $$ and up. I honestly have no idea how they'd hold up, though presumably a $200 or $250 under-counter model would contain better parts than the countertop kind.

There are also the battery-operated "one-touch" kind, that you clap onto the can and push a button and watch them run around the lid. I've found they work poorly for anything other than entertaining cats and grandkids, but others have apparently had better luck than me and may be able to recommend a good brand.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A quick perusal of Walmart's website shows two or three different Hamilton Beach countertop models for under $30. I've always found Hamilton Beach to be a fairly good value in small kitchen electrics that don't need to be heavy-duty. At that price, if you use it five years and it conks out, you've gotten your money's worth, and go get another one.

Cuisinart makes one for under $40. I know nothing about them.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 5 months later...

Husband Ed who always looks at the flyers each week has been looking for an electric can opener on sale at Home Hardware or Canadian Tire, etc, and has just announced that it's very curious, but there has not been one electric can opener on sale for weeks now.  

That is strange...everything else seems to have its turn on sale...but not electric can openers.  He feels it's because they are all so imperfect that no one wants to advertise them.

Any thoughts?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Yes.  I don't think electric can openers are particularly useful any longer.  They're big and clumsy and take up counter space.  I haven't used one in years since we bought the Oxo.

It fits in a drawer and is very easy to use even if you have hand issues (like me).

It requires very little effort to open anything.

• Like 3

I received one of these Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Openers to use and review from Amazon back in June.  

The product page with all the reviews is confusing because this is a new model and Amazon has lumped thousands of older reviews in with this one WHICH WAS JUST RELEASED FOR SALE ON FEBRUARY 5, 2019!

I have used it on #10 cans and the tiny cans that hold diced green chiles and chopped black olives& etc.  It even did okay with a rectangular flat can of roasted peppers.  

Since I have severe arthritis in my right hand, this is a great kitchen assistant as I can no longer use the hand-held ones.

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 7.15.17 AM.png

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 years later...

Well, I'm back.  Again.  Both Oxo can openers have hit the round file and while the recently purchased Lee Valley little job works well, for Ed, I now have severe degenerative arthritis in my wrists and can't use any can openers.  

I'm going to look up the Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Opener next on Amazon Canada with a view to buying one.  Thanks for all the answers which somehow I never saw three years ago.  

I'm gasping...the USA Amazon price is $37.00 and the Canadian Amazon price is $99.00.  Maybe not...🤪

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

34 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Well, I'm back.  Again.  Both Oxo can openers have hit the round file and while the recently purchased Lee Valley little job works well, for Ed, I now have severe degenerative arthritis in my wrists and can't use any can openers.  

I'm going to look up the Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Opener next on Amazon Canada with a view to buying one.  Thanks for all the answers which somehow I never saw three years ago.  

I'm gasping...the USA Amazon price is $37.00 and the Canadian Amazon price is $99.00.  Maybe not...🤪

Incredible, isn't it?  I've seen other items listed on Amazon where the prices, compared to their US counterparts, are way more than the conversion of dollars would suggest.

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-home-appliance/city-of-toronto/can-opener-hamilton-beach/1639852365

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, palo said:

The Hamilton Beach being discussed does not leave “a sharp, flexy edge”. You finish with a smooth safe edge on both lid and can.

Edited by DesertTinker
Typo (log)
  • Like 1

@Kerry Beal and @palo...you are both gentlemen and scholars to go to the trouble of helping me out.  Ed has already arranged with out local Merrett's Home Hardware...and yes he taught both the sons...to buy one there.  It's put away under his name.

But thank you so much for your help.   :x:x

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.