• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home vacuum sealing

Soleil

Beyond the food saver type system, any suggestions on how to seal a box of molded/filled chocolates to help extend self life?  Any systems that aren’t too costly for a someone just starting out to make hobby to business jump?  

The problem with sealing a box is that there is air in the box too which won't be removed unless it collapses completely...which it won't.

I think it'd be better to seal unboxed candy in a zip loc bag using the water immersion method to force out the air.''

Disclaimer- I'm not a candy maven.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soleil said:

Beyond the food saver type system, any suggestions on how to seal a box of molded/filled chocolates to help extend self life?  Any systems that aren’t too costly for a someone just starting out to make hobby to business jump?  

If you haven't already done so, you might want to read through the threads on preserving chocolates. There are lots of them, though they aren't grouped into a single topic. If you do a search for "vacuum" in this forum (not all of eGullet), you will find many different ways it can be done. Or look for "impulse sealer," and you will find my compromise method. Other ideas are under "shelf life."

• Like 1