• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

11 Best Summer Drinks

A few summers ago, when I lived up the hill from a lake that necessitated taking all you were going to drink with you, as it was a long climb back up, I took to mixing ginger mojitos. Chopped fresh ginger in the food processor and squeezed it out in cheesecloth to get two or three tablespoons of juice. Rum, simple syrup, a healthy dose of lime juice, and club soda. Made for a quite refreshing all-day drink in my quart-sized insulated mug.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have a ton of "homemade" crystallized ginger I bought at an organic market (it's in my Mexico freezer).  When I return I will experiment in turning it into a ginger syrup, then use in beverages.  I am thinking it would be good in a white sangria.  

3 hours ago, eugenep said:

Hmmm.. I wonder if you could just infuse the ginger in the rum for a few days or week after pressing out its juice to extract more if its flavor 

I don't see any good reason why not, other than the fact you'd need to strain the rum every time you pour it.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 5:04 PM, lindag said:

A simple to prepare drink that I enjoy often in the summer is Mason Jar Bourbonade.

in fact, now that I think about it, I may just have one tonight.

thanks for the recommendaiton. tried it out on Saturday while taking a walking tour of some kinda architecture exhibit walk for 1.5 miles in the City and that drink was impressive. 

So good for the season that I made it today for the park while playing bocci 

good drink. 

I sometimes make tepache with pineapple skin and fermentation for the summer (just add spirit of your choice) and also spiced rum (toast spices and soak in rum for 2 weeks) 

I might try that tecate (mexican beer) with tomato and hot sauce etc.. I think it's called a michelada or something

• Like 1

For this memorial day BBQ, I'm bringing to bottles of Spanish cider from the Asturias region 

I saw on Vice media that the Spanish ciders are closer to a sour beer and not sweet - so I thought it would be good to cut the fat from the bbq meat 

Getting it from Despanga on Broome St today hopefully 

The Spanish dry ciders seem good for the summer 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 11:34 AM, eugenep said:

For this memorial day BBQ, I'm bringing to bottles of Spanish cider from the Asturias region 

I saw on Vice media that the Spanish ciders are closer to a sour beer and not sweet - so I thought it would be good to cut the fat from the bbq meat 

Getting it from Despanga on Broome St today hopefully 

The Spanish dry ciders seem good for the summer 

Top Hops on Orchard usually has some nice Spanish sidras available as well, though I don't know I'd compare them to sour beers - more like funkiness over sour.

And certainly some of the ciders being produced here (Vermont, MA, Hudson River valley of NY would also be good with 'cue; I especially think the more carbonated ones work quite well.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Top Hops on Orchard usually has some nice Spanish sidras available as well, though I don't know I'd compare them to sour beers - more like funkiness over sour.

And certainly some of the ciders being produced here (Vermont, MA, Hudson River valley of NY would also be good with 'cue; I especially think the more carbonated ones work quite well.

thanks - I checked out their website and they show some interesting stuff on tap. 

I wonder if they have those hard to find beers that are top rated (like from brewers from Russian River and Tree House Brewery etc. ) or where I could get that around the NJ-NYC area. I've been getting my stuff from Total Wine mostly. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grapefruit, vodka and bitters.  A couple 3 ice cubes and I call it a Greyhound.

Grapefruit, tequila, lime, club soda, the Paloma.  I infuse cilantro in my tequila, so there's a bit of green flavor.

and Gin & Juice (grapefruit). 

Do you see a theme?

That's my summer, unless its a beer.