• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Kenwood Mixer

LZB

My beloved General Slicing (aka Kenwood) mixer, purchased in 1984 has finally bitten the dust. Yesterday it threw out sparks and popping noises and the smoke from the motor. I researched other threads about mixers but am finding only older threads from 2012, so I am asking, what do people recommend? The consensus seems to be the newer model Kitchenaides are not worth buying. I bake fairly regularly-breads, cakes, pastry (I'm a retired baker), so I want a workhorse. I don't think anything will last as long as my beloved little mixer. I appreciate any advice.

IMG_5756.JPG

Edited by LZB
typo (log)

32 minutes ago, LZB said:

My beloved General Slicing (aka Kenwood) mixer, purchased in 1984 has finally bitten the dust. Yesterday it threw out sparks and popping noises and the smoke from the motor. I researched other threads about mixers but am finding only older threads from 2012, so I am asking, what do people recommend? The consensus seems to be the newer model Kitchenaides are not worth buying. I bake fairly regularly-breads, cakes, pastry (I'm a retired baker), so I want a workhorse. I don't think anything will last as long as my beloved little mixer. I appreciate any advice.

My KitchenAid KSM8990WH has been a delight.  My one complaint is, for my use, it is possibly too large.  I have an older KitchenAid that was, alas, too small.  No problems with either KitchenAid that I remember, and the older one is from the 1980's.

If I could afford it*, I would look into one of these:

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/haussler-alpha-mixer-heavy-duty-kitchen-dough-stand-mixer

*or lift it

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Welcome to our little corner of the web, LZB.

The most durable thing I can think of would be the countertop-sized Hobart, but of course that's going to be a bit spend-y even if you browse the classifieds. You might find one at auction for a reasonable price, though.

I know there are companies in the UK doing full-bore refurbishments of vintage, nearly-indestructible Kenwoods and bringing them back to like-new condition. They're in like-new price as well, unfortunately, and that's not counting shipping from the UK.

Have you considered getting a quote from a Kenwood service provider? A motor rebuild and/or replacement should be pretty price-competitive, and you'd have a machine of known quality (plus, all your accessories will still fit). :)

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I figured the repair plus shipping would be as astronomical as a replacement, but am certainly willing to entertain the idea. There's one service center 40 miles from me. We'll see if they answer my phone message.

Edited by LZB (log)
  • Like 4

Where are you? I think it's generally smart to stick with Kenwood in the EU, and Kitchenaid in the US. Both companies make good mixers; both companies have imperfect quality control; and mixers are categorically easy to break. Kenwood has the best service and parts availability in the EU,  KA likewise  has the best in the US.  

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly