• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

don't think I have ever seen parsley with the root attached,

Maybe it was a regional thing.  I know it was sold in all the Italian owned produce markets and the supermarkets with roots for quite some time.  

Here's how I remember it, but the roots were much much smaller/slimmer/tender.   I am not talking about the carrot sized parsley roots version.   This pic was poached from Santa Monica farmer's market, so I guess it is sold like this somewhere still.   Maybe it was an early season vs. late season parsley crop situation, memory has faded.

edit: just realized pic is probably cilantro, not parsley.

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 11.56.23 AM.png

lemniscate

lemniscate

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

don't think I have ever seen parsley with the root attached,

Maybe it was a regional thing.  I know it was sold in all the Italian owned produce markets and the supermarkets with roots for quite some time.  

Here's how I remember it, but the roots were much much smaller/slimmer/tender.   I am not talking about the carrot sized parsley roots version.   This pic was poached from Santa Monica farmer's market, so I guess it is sold like this somewhere still.   Maybe it was an early season vs. late season parsley crop situation, memory has faded.

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 11.56.23 AM.png