• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do clay pots really add "flavor" to a dish or is it a myth?

torolover

new to this thread.

@stephen129

if CCR has added flavor , it might be because the clay pot top is not perfectly sealed.

I can't imagine any clay pot adding flavor.

maybe some Lead if you are not careful.

what they add to any dish is :

1 ) a sense of History .  Tagine's work as a tiny oven , with some efficiency from the shape of the top

to re-condencse moisture back into the ' dish "

what clay pot cooking does do

for sure , 

is to provide to The Cook

a fine satisfaction in understanding them and how to use them

and collect them

SS is fine , just not so much for the 

je nes se pas

any knife will work as well if equally sharp as another

but not so much for the feeling in the Hand

and all the other etc.  etc . etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:58 PM, Anna N said:

I love my donabe which was a Christmas gift.  Donabe weather is just around the corner.  I know I have posted some of the dishes I made in this. I love that it is induction compatible since my range is induction.

Here is one.

Anna, which size is your Kinto donabe?  (Assuming, of course, you don't have more than one.)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anna, which size is your Kinto donabe?  (Assuming, of course, you don't have more than one.)

I believe it is the 1.2 L. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:05 AM, Anna N said:

I believe it is the 1.2 L. 

Thanks, and now I have one of my own.  It is a very pretty pot.  I was expecting the Kinko was Japanese but mine is actually from Malaysia.  I hope to put it to work sometime later on this week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In anticipation I have been reading up on donabe recipes.  What caught my eye was neko nabe from Japanese Hot Pots, Tadashi Ono and Harris Salat (p23).  Unfortunately I do not have a neko and amazon/Whole Foods was no help.  In this version of the recipe the neko is not actually cooked but flavors the clay pot.

I am new to clay cooking. I just got a Romertopf for Christmas and look forward to breaking it in soon. I am finding a wealth of information in the Cooking in Clay Facebook group founded by Steve Sando and Carolyn Tillie. If you aren't in that group, you may want to check it out. I hope I'm not breaking an eG rule by posting that.

Edited by Maison Rustique
typo (log)

Deb

Liberty, MO

Right up there with neko nabe, Ono and Salat have another interesting hot pot recipe (p137) which is eaten in the dark.  Your guests bring whatever ingredients they like but you don't get to see what they are sticking in the nabe.  "It can get a little bizarre, yes, but a lot of fun..."

Said to be popular among college students.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest I don't believe in it. Maybe it also depends on what kind of clay pot is it..And I think that if it has an impact on dish flavor it is because of the temperature. I have a few clay pots and I have never noticed any flavor change.

• Like 1

I have not cooked in my clay tagine for at least six months.  On a whim I went over and gave the inside a sniff.  The tagine has a fragrance.

• 2 years later...

Just purchased a used Romertopf, model No. 113 which is 4.2 Quart (4 litre) to replace a similar one which was cracked.

The new (used) pot has stains inside, perhaps a salt ring.

How would you recommend to clean it?

- spray it with EasyOff oven cleaner?

- soak in water and then heat to the limit of my oven (550°F)? Cook it for how long?

- don't try to clean it?

- other ideas?

Edited by TdeV
grammar (log)

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

other ideas?

Use baking soda. Soak it overnight if you wish. You need about 3 tablespoons of baking soda per litre of water. Or you could scour it with dry baking soda on a damp cloth and then rinse it off. You will probably never be able to remove the stains. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog