• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Pro

paulraphael

I wonder how popular their previous commercial unit was?

Apparently popular enough to warrant a new one.

AnovaPro.PNG

The Anova Precision Cooker Pro commercial sous vide circulator is designed to be a workhorse in any commercial kitchen. This system’s durable stainless steel body, clamp, heaters, and components means consistent performance in the most challenging kitchens. 

Commercial-Grade Powerhouse

Professional Durability

•  Stainless steel construction
  •  Capacitive keys - no moving parts
  •  Splash-proof LCD display & keypad

Flexible Mounting

•  Mounts containers up to 20 gallons
  •  Lexan & buffet tray compatible
  •  Pots & coolers compatible

Commercial Grade Specs

•  High power heaters @ 1.0kW & 2kW
  •  High flow pump @ 7gal/min (26liter/min)

HACCP Ready

•  Low-level water alarm
  •  HACCP data out compliance ready
  •  External temp probe available

Clean & Hygienic

•  Detachable cage
  •  Pump opens for cleaning

Specifications

Standard 115V Model Specifications

Heating Capacity

1.0 kW @115V

Temperature range

68 °F - 212 °F (20 °C - 99 °C)

Temperature stability

±0.018 °F (±0.01 °C)

Computer interface

RS232 & USB

Circulating pump

7 gallons/min (26 liter/min)

Dimensions

4.5 x 6 x 13 inches (114 x 152 x 330 mm)

Weight

8 lbs (3.6 kg)

Standards

CE

Warning and Safety

Low-level protection switch

Alarm notification

optical / audible

High Capacity 220V Model Specifications

Heating Capacity

2 kW @220 V

Temperature range

68 °F - 212°F (20 °C - 99 °C)

Temperature stability

±0.018 °F (±0.01 °C)

Computer interface

RS232 & USB

Circulating pump

7 gallons/min (26 liter/min)

Dimensions

4.5 x 6 x 13 inches (114 x 152 x 330 mm)

Weight

8 lbs (3.6 kg)

Standards

CE

Warning and Safety

Low-level protection switch

Alarm notification

optical / audible

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

BTW, the previous model was priced the same.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Interesting! I didn't think PIDs worked that way. 

Is the POS mini thing the nano? What do you hate? I've never seen one but always thought it would be nice as a 2nd one and for travel.

There's no good reason to do anything more sophisticated with the controls.  you are heating a mass of water, it reacts pretty slowly, so dumping 800 W (or whatever the ratings are) into it for a few seconds is fine grained enough.  You could figure out about what the heat loss is, and adjust the output accordingly, but it changes all the time.  Things get put in the bath, taken out, water evaporates, and there are a lot of phase transitions in cooking (which suck up heat without a change in temperature.).  All of that means you have to adjust all the time, so coarse PWM works nearly as well, as much easier to get right.

Yeah, the little one was the nano.  I couldn't stand it.  It has a fixed non removable clamp, which doesn't fit a cambro food storage box (WTF were they thinking?), and because it's fixed, you can't drill a hole in the lid and drop it in.  And the range of water depths is small, so in a pot you might have to remove some water when you put food in it.  Just a whole bunch of poorly thought out corner cutting.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 4:31 PM, adey73 said:

does the app on the Joule have a data-logger?

Yes. It took me quite some trouble to find it but eventually I did.

On 5/9/2019 at 2:32 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

I wonder how popular their previous commercial unit was?

Apparently popular enough to warrant a new one.

AnovaPro.PNG

I was intrigued by that one too. In their blog post introducing the new one, they say the old one was a flop. I believe it was just the Anova lab circulator. You could find it on lab equipment sites, but I never saw it marketed to cooks or sold on kitchen sites.

My only guess is that people want something more compact. This looks more like the original PolyScience ... not something you stick in a drawer when you're done.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

Anybody remember the old SideKick immersion circulator, whose maker posted here on eG for a while? I bought one of those. It was my introduction to the world of sous vide. Not a bad little machine, until it up and died on me.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 5/9/2019 at 4:01 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What is the range of water depth for the new one?

I don't remember exactly, but something like two or three inches from min to max, with basically no flexibility from the clamp.  

In fairness, I should say that I gave the thing to a friend, and he is pleased with it.   It's his first 'meat Jacuzzi', as he calls it, and he doesn't do big cooks, so using it in a stock pot or whatever works fine for him.

8 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

I don't remember exactly, but something like two or three inches from min to max, with basically no flexibility from the clamp.  

In fairness, I should say that I gave the thing to a friend, and he is pleased with it.   It's his first 'meat Jacuzzi', as he calls it, and he doesn't do big cooks, so using it in a stock pot or whatever works fine for him.

What did you not like about yours that you gave it away?  I finally found the information on the anova site:  min 62 mm, max 170 mm  (min 2.44 inch, max 6.69 inch).  That's more than a 4 inch difference!  Anova states the clamp is "Adjustable & Detachable".  Though I can't find any data on pot depths.

I have no need for an app so I am almost tempted to spring for one...were I not getting my knee worked on at the moment.  Anyhow they say the app will be coming in the summer.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, paulraphael said:

....but I never saw it marketed to cooks or sold on kitchen sites.

It was available on the Anova Culinary site. 

A stainless steel vessel was an option for an additional ~$200, IIRC.

AnovaVessel.PNG

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 9:34 PM, dscheidt said:

You're talking about the Nano here, right?

2 hours ago, Vapre said:

You're talking about the Nano here, right?

I was asking about the new anova pro.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 hours ago, dscheidt said:

I was, yes.  I am sure the pro is much more flexible. 

Yeah it's a mystery why they took such a drastic step backwards w/Nova vs. Precision Cooker in terms of useability.

• 2 weeks later...

• 7 months later...

I like food cooked with sous wide machines!

I've watched the video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN8m9KAQJ0c and it really looks promising. I've tried not so many brands but Anova is the best one for me (I'm using Anova Precision for £199, without "Pro"). I'm intrigued by this model and sould check by myself how it works.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 8:06 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

It was available on the Anova Culinary site. 

A stainless steel vessel was an option for an additional ~$200, IIRC.

AnovaVessel.PNG

I missed this post.

I still have this cooker which was bought from the Anova site. The first one that arrived did not work properly. Anova had me send the original back to them at their expense and replaced it promptly.

It is a big beast and I think it could power a domestic spa. Certainly the rotor is so strong that it will whip water over the sides of a smaller container if you are not careful.

I use it for big cooks (50-60 covers) and it works well. For smaller cooks, I use one of my other Anovas. I must say having used someone else's Anova Nano, they are too underpowered for my purposes both in terms of heating up and circulating.

The unit had an RS232 port on it which supports the contention that it was a variant of their laboratory models.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

On 5/11/2019 at 7:56 PM, paulraphael said:

My only guess is that people want something more compact. This looks more like the original PolyScience ... not something you stick in a drawer when you're done.

I've since read an article with comments by Anova (can't remember where) . Surprisingly, they said that professional cooks have reliability problems with professional lab circulators. The lab models are built to very high standards, but with the expectations of a controlled work environment. Kitchens get hot and full of steam. And they're not staffed by lab technicians. A kitchen circulator gets banged around and dropped on the floor and probably dropped into the water bath. 

The new Anova is built for this. They say it can survive falls off the counter and being completely submerged.  It's a scientists vs. gorillas thing. 

When my Anova 1 dies, I'll probably spring for this thing. I'd appreciate the peace of mind.

• Like 4

Notes from the underbelly