• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Supplier or Brand for eco friendly gift bags

KawBaker

Aloha - my enjoyment of making and giving away my culinary adventures has left me feeling a bit guilt-laden about the use of poly-plastic or CELLO (also plastic) gift bags for my give-aways to friends.

Our island has banned the use of grocery plastic bags, most recently styrofoam and soon to be plastic straws, so I am feeling a little guilty buying plastic bags for gifting when other options are available.

After a bit of exploration, I realize that there is a lot of false advertising in terms of cellophane (plant-based biodegradable) bags vs poly vs opp vs plastic.  Some companies use Cello or Cellophane in the title or description but are actually plastic.

Does anyone have recommendations for a brand or supplier for 5"x9" (130mmX240mm) or near size biodegradable gift bags?  Mahalo, AtHomeMaui

Even the cello made from plants isn't necessarily compost-able.  Do you have commercial composting on the island?  Might be wise to check with them on what materials they can actually compost.  I don't have any recs for you, other than to look for something that specifies compost-able.  Good luck!