• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fresh strawberries and salt

highchef

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Interesting, I had never thought to salt my avocado.

We always salted. Friends swear by a sprinkle of balsamic. Lime - over rated. 

14 minutes ago, heidih said:

We always salted. Friends swear by a sprinkle of balsamic. Lime - over rated. 

Yes, I am in the balsamic camp depending on my mood and finances.  Lime though helps with turning brown.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I always salt watermelon and cantaloupe, something my mother did religiously. And she didn't spend time in the south. I grew up in New York. My husband and daughter always take the opportunity to scoff at me for it, but they don't know anything and both grew up in CA. It never occurred to me to salt strawberries, though. Maybe I will try it this morning, but it just sounds wrong. How do avocados insinuate themselves into everything? Control yourselves, folks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/28/2019 at 11:09 AM, highchef said:

Thinking to ramp it up, I consulted the Flavor Bible. No surprises with flavor combinations but a new category labeled "Avoid" with a single element...salt. 

Why?

Back to the strawberries, my first thought was that they're not one of the fruits that come first to my mind for inclusion in savory dishes, as compared with other fruits like citrus, stone fruits, other berries like blueberries, blackberries, etc. or even jams so I though there might be something to that.

On the other hand, one of my favorite salads is a spinach salad with fresh strawberries and feta (among other things) and if feta's not salt, I don't know what is so there are certainly exceptions to every rule!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2019 at 11:16 AM, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

As a child in Florida I grew up salting watermelon and cantaloupe. I don't remember when I stopped doing that--probably when my family moved to Colorado and we didn't eat melons as often as before. That, and the fact that no one in Colorado salted their melons. Is this a Southern thing?

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

My parents were from Boston, and although I was born and raised down here, the salting watermelon thing was not a thing until I was about 8 and at a friends house and they insisted I try it. I still salt my watermelon every once in a while...when I think of it!