• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

I am just a home cook and and an amateur at chocolate making 

but I did read the chocolate making book by CIA, Culinary Institute of America

The CIA procedure would:

(1) turn up the temp super high to kill all good and bad crystals 

(2) It would then cool down and form the good crystals by seeding the chocolate with pieces of chocolate.

This seeding will cool down the chocolate where if forms the bad unstable crystals below the 34 C you mention I'm guessing 

(3) to make sure you keep only the good crystals and kill the bad ones, you then need to heat it up again to the point were only the good crystals are present 

So it's by seeding the chocolate in stage 2 that cools it down too much. I guess if there was a way of seeding without cooling it down below that special 34 C range it would be innovative 

I don't know if this answers your question but I hope so and please correct me if I'm wrong. thank you 

eugenep

eugenep

I am just a home cook and and an amateur at chocolate making 

but I did read the chocolate making book by CIA, Culinary Institute of America

The CIA procedure would:

(1) turn up the temp super high to kill all good and bad crystals 

(2) It would then cool down and form the good crystals by seeding the chocolate with pieces of chocolate.

This seeding will cool down the chocolate where if forms the bad unstable crystals below the 34 C you mention I'm guessing 

(3) to make sure you keep only the good crystals and kill the bad ones, you then need to heat it up again to the point were only the good crystals are present 

So it's by seeding the chocolate in stage 2 that cools it down too much. 

I don't know if this answers your question but I hope so and please correct me if I'm wrong. thank you