• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New house, new kitchen

kayb

Well, it seems I am about to buy a new house and move across town. The kitchen is what sold me on our choice. Here are a few pictures:

171217675_kitchen1.jpg.308af5c3f1e2523a61b184d1ba194f5e.jpg2082336489_kitchen2.jpg.1f4bf61db626824fac6d3291536a87fc.jpg1638885136_kitchen3.jpg.a414352ef00bfd326cb93d912a36f16c.jpg

I expect the small table will go when the current occupants move, so I'll be looking to get a small island for the center. But a big goal will be for all the stuff that lives on top of my counters now to find a new home in a cabinet somewhere.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 21

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Very nice.  I am looking at the counter top to the left of the stove.  It appears to be at a lower height than the standard 36.5 inch.  I have a counter top area that is 34.5 inches specifically for making dough.  The lower height makes it much easier to knead and roll out doughs.

• Like 1

it's beautiful 

i've been saving for a house too 

but the ones I can afford in a nice neighborhood close enough to work are not good looking 

i guess we'll see 

i always thought houses farther away from the major metropolitan areas would cost less with better value 

errr...if the house you purchased is close to the NJ - NYC area and within affordability please message me for tips on areas to look at- e.g., Rutherford etc. 

I actually have my very own fainting couch! (They have two!)

20 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Very nice.  I am looking at the counter top to the left of the stove.  It appears to be at a lower height than the standard 36.5 inch.  I have a counter top area that is 34.5 inches specifically for making dough.  The lower height makes it much easier to knead and roll out doughs.

It IS lower. I had not thought of it as an advantage in kneading/rolling dough, but it certainly would be. I was more or less thinking of that area of cabinet as a baking center, anyway....

1 minute ago, eugenep said:

it's beautiful 

i've been saving for a house too 

but the ones I can afford in a nice neighborhood close enough to work are not good looking 

i guess we'll see 

i always thought houses farther away from the major metropolitan areas would cost less with better value 

errr...if the house you purchased is close to the NJ - NYC area and within affordability please message me for tips on areas to look at- e.g., Rutherford etc. 

I expect that Jonesboro, Arkansas, is a bit outside your commute area. Housing values are da bomb, though. 2,500 SF, 1-acre lot, nice neighborhood, about 250K.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

Looks like they have a Kitchenaid mixer on that counter and below it looks like cupboards large enough to store one.  We had a big/deep drawer made below our counter so I could lower the mixer down into it when not in use.

The KA is one thing I intend to leave on the counter, if possible. It's too danged heavy to move back and forth. But yes, those cabinets are large enough to store if it I decide I need to do that.

I once had the KA on a sturdy rolling cart I kept in a closet. It's occurred to me to go back to that idea. Bottom shelf of cart serves well for baking supplies, etc.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

@kayb

congratulations  !

money-mouth.gif.a5e700e4e93def2658cd9e03e80f39e1.gif

is the stove an induction on the top ?

just L of the stove there is an item

w an insert ?

of course we all need to know that that insert is

cheers your way !

enjoy yur new home !

No, the stove isn't induction. It's just a solid-surface electric.

That's just a hot pad lying next to the stove. I have a dark granite block I'll likely sit there.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

I love your new kitchen and have a real case of storage envy!  My pet peeve about so many kitchens is the lack of any counter space next to the stove and the refrigerator.  You need a landing pad for items there.  Yours looks  like the designers took that into consideration.  We were in a kitchen supply store a while back and the selection of rolling  island units was just amazing.  So much storage.  Do you have a move in date yet?

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

I love your new kitchen and have a real case of storage envy!  My pet peeve about so many kitchens is the lack of any counter space next to the stove and the refrigerator.  You need a landing pad for items there.  Yours looks  like the designers took that into consideration.  We were in a kitchen supply store a while back and the selection of rolling  island units was just amazing.  So much storage.  Do you have a move in date yet?

No, not yet. We've made an offer, but are prepared to go their full asking price if we have to. It's priced in line with the market here. You just always have to see if they have any wiggle room in their pricing, and the house has been on the market for four months, so...

But I'm saying it'll take a good 30 days from the time the offer's accepted before we can close, and move-in after that. I'll be well pleased if we can get in by mid-June. 

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

So jealous of your kitchen width; we have a galley kitchen here in Mexico and my DH and I constantly bumping into each other (and he's ultra slim and I'm average sized).  Though to be honest, we jostle each other in our FL kitchen too, which is a 15 foot square.  Maybe after 47 years of marriage we still like to cuddle 🤗

• Like 1

That is a beautiful, spacious kitchen!  Lots of storage space too.  Is the floor wood or tile?  When I remodeled my kitchen I put in wood-look tile.  It sort of looks like yours but mine is a blue-gray color.  It reminds me of the deck of a ship.

@kayb, I'm thrilled for you! The kitchen looks beautiful: ready to move into, and all you'll need to do is decide where best to put things. Is that oven a Samsung, by any chance? If so, is it one of their dual-option ovens? That's what I have at home.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Lovely bright space. My kitchen designers would lament the distance (too much between prep and cooking but I think your island sounds like the "solution".  I think you mentioned wanting to have people so an island with stool space might solve that. I have posted this before. Only image I can find of a former one.  (not me)  Half was under counter storage and other part overhung and we put stools there. 

2009eggs.JPG

• Like 3

On 4/25/2019 at 7:38 AM, gulfporter said:

So jealous of your kitchen width; we have a galley kitchen here in Mexico and my DH and I constantly bumping into each other (and he's ultra slim and I'm average sized).  Though to be honest, we jostle each other in our FL kitchen too, which is a 15 foot square.  Maybe after 47 years of marriage we still like to cuddle 🤗

I may find it wider than I want, but I think an island where they have the two-seater table will be the answer. I found one on overstock.com that I like. White, same style as cabinets, but a butcher-block top as I would never be able to match the granite.

On 4/25/2019 at 8:56 AM, liamsaunt said:

That is a beautiful, spacious kitchen!  Lots of storage space too.  Is the floor wood or tile?  When I remodeled my kitchen I put in wood-look tile.  It sort of looks like yours but mine is a blue-gray color.  It reminds me of the deck of a ship.

The floor is a ceramic tile that is designed to look like wood. It has a sort of gray-ish, "pickled" finish. It goes throughout the foyer, kitchen, dining room, den, laundry area, etc. I love it because it's just about indestructible.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:10 AM, lindag said:

Does the micro exhaust to the outside?

I ask because it's something that is lacking in my kitchen.

Now, that's one I don't know. I will have to look.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:52 AM, Smithy said:

@kayb, I'm thrilled for you! The kitchen looks beautiful: ready to move into, and all you'll need to do is decide where best to put things. Is that oven a Samsung, by any chance? If so, is it one of their dual-option ovens? That's what I have at home.

The stove (and fridge) are Samsung. Got to give these folks credit; when they redid the kitchen, they did NICE appliances. I believe the oven is dual-option; I honestly did not check. The fridge actually has an iPad built into the door. If you use the last of the milk, you scan the bar code with the iPad, and it puts milk on your grocery list. Add "fridge" to the list of appliances that are smarter than I am.

Our offer's been countered, and the counter accepted. Closing targeted for May 30. Y'all come help pack, or unpack. There will be food and booze.

I am determined all that will be on the countertop at all times are the coffee maker, CSO, stand mixer and canisters. Did not realize what I thought was a broom closet is actually a second pantry. Both pantries have slide-out shelves, which please me tremendously.

Will post quantities of photos once we get moved and all is set up.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:40 AM, kayb said:

Well, it seems I am about to buy a new house and move across town. The kitchen is what sold me on our choice. Here are a few pictures:

171217675_kitchen1.jpg.308af5c3f1e2523a61b184d1ba194f5e.jpg2082336489_kitchen2.jpg.1f4bf61db626824fac6d3291536a87fc.jpg1638885136_kitchen3.jpg.a414352ef00bfd326cb93d912a36f16c.jpg

I expect the small table will go when the current occupants move, so I'll be looking to get a small island for the center. But a big goal will be for all the stuff that lives on top of my counters now to find a new home in a cabinet somewhere.

A very nice kitchen. You will be happy in it.

I would add the following:

1. ceiling lights above the sink.

2. Center island on casters.

3. A floor electric outlet where the center island is. 

4. May be the smoke detector should be a little further away from stove. (depends on how often you burn your food LOL!)

dcarch

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, kayb said:

The stove (and fridge) are Samsung. Got to give these folks credit; when they redid the kitchen, they did NICE appliances.

Will the appliances convey with the house?  Here, except for built-ins, they generally do not, unless it's specifically written into the contract.  Particularly true for fridges.

We specified the fridge would stay, since it matches the other appliances and I don't want to put my white one in that spot (It's garage-bound as extra fridge space). They were OK with it. So everything conveys.

@dcarch, a rolling island with locking casters is in the plans. Afraid the floor outlet is not, as the house is built on a slab and a floor outlet would be a major undertaking. Hadn't thought about lighting over the sink; may need that. Ditto may need to move smoke alarm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

I especially like @dcarch's idea of lights over the sink. The older my eyes get, the more I hate working in shadow, and the existing ceiling lights will be behind you when you're working at the sink. 

It looks to me as though the microwave / range hood is on an interior wall, so it's unlikely to vent outside. That's something I wish I'd had, but we didn't think of a way to do it until after our kitchen remodeling was done.

Oh, to have all that uncluttered counter space! I think it's great that you plan to minimize on-counter storage.

It's good that the appliances - all new, high-quality - will go with the house. From what @blue_dolphin says, this seems to be a regional difference. Alll the appliances went with both my house purchases, although we did discuss it in advance. I don't think there's an assumption one way or the other in Minnesota.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown