• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NE Road Trip

MetsFan5

My Californian husband hasn’t been north of Boston. I’d love to do a food centric road trip up to Maine and back within 4 days. Is this realistic? Should we fly to Portland or Bangor and drive down instead or just driving?  

I’m looking to eat lots of lobsters, both types of lobster rolls, fried clam bellies, clam pizza and anything else recommended.  I’m going to research a few non chain hotels to mix in with two or so chain hotels. We have a lot of points with Hilton. 

Mostly I’d like to show him Rhode Island (I went to PC), Newport, I haven’t been to Maine for 25 year, and CT that isn’t Foxwoods. That was rough. 

• Like 2

Clam pizza has to be the original Pepe's in New Haven.

there is a Pepe's w of BOS , but its clam pizza is not that good.   excellent Bacon pizza

just like original Pepe's

clam w bellies :  in Essex  MA

clams in essex ma

P.S.:   I now no longer have to go up to essex for clams w bellies

the Legal Seafood near me  ( not others , BTW ) make superb fried clams w bellies 

and superb fish and chips w halibut.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

And if you haven't done it yet, I'd say it's quite a schlep to drive up and back (to Maine) in 4 days.

We certainly enjoy Cape Ann ; I could see heading up there for 3 days (Rockport, Newburyport, Gloucester), eating clams, lobster, and whatever and then stopping in Rhode Island for 1 on the way home.

Otherwise, yeah, Fly to Portland and drive back. Even that is not really relaxing.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

And if you haven't done it yet, I'd say it's quite a schlep to drive up and back (to Maine) in 4 days.

We certainly enjoy Cape Ann ; I could see heading up there for 3 days (Rockport, Newburyport, Gloucester), eating clams, lobster, and whatever and then stopping in Rhode Island for 1 on the way home.

Otherwise, yeah, Fly to Portland and drive back. Even that is not really relaxing.

Excellent advice for future visitors.    This area of MA offers great lodging and food within a reasonable area.    Maine really requires a day to wander down each or any peninsula or else you will find yourself stuck on Route'1's parking-lot-like congestion.   

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

We decided against it. We’re going to West Palm Beach for a concert this month then my husband is going to Bermuda for work for a few days (not interested, I went last year and didn’t really enjoy it) so that trip is on hold. If anything we’d fly to Portland and back for a weekend. 

19 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

We decided against it. We’re going to West Palm Beach for a concert this month then my husband is going to Bermuda for work for a few days (not interested, I went last year and didn’t really enjoy it) so that trip is on hold. If anything we’d fly to Portland and back for a weekend. 

Ohhh.... spent a day across from the West Palm garbage transfer station - hey, when your husband is a general birder you spend a lot of time at garbage dumps and places where your waste goes to

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites