• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lindag

Ice Cream!

18 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Sometimes mangoes remain stringy, so the texture of the ice cream might be different than you expect. 

Yes, that is true.  I would run the pulp through a food mill.

Posted (edited)
  1.  338g Milk
  2.   37g Cream 48%
  3.   25g SMP
  4.  157g Sucrose
  5.   18g Dextrose
  6.   20g Glucose 38DE
  7.    5g Stabilizer
  8.  200g Mango
  9.  200g Whole Yogurt

-- Antonio De Vecchi

Or design/modify your sorbet recipe with Inulin to make the texture very cream.

1.      95g Sucrose
  2.      54g Dextrose
  3.      50g Atomized Glucose (21DE)
  4.      20g Inulin
  5.     398g Water
  6.       5g Stabilizer
  7.     300g Mango
  8.     100g Passion Fruit

-- Jaume Turro Andersen

Edited by jandreas (log)

7 hours ago, jandreas said:
  1.  338g Milk
  2.   37g Cream 48%
  3.   25g SMP
  4.  157g Sucrose
  5.   18g Dextrose
  6.   20g Glucose 38DE
  7.    5g Stabilizer
  8.  200g Mango
  9.  200g Whole Yogurt

-- Antonio De Vecchi

Or design/modify your sorbet recipe with Inulin to make the texture very cream.

1.      95g Sucrose
  2.      54g Dextrose
  3.      50g Atomized Glucose (21DE)
  4.      20g Inulin
  5.     398g Water
  6.       5g Stabilizer
  7.     300g Mango
  8.     100g Passion Fruit

-- Jaume Turro Andersen

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this.  However, I don't have a lot of the ingredients you listed and I don't know where I would find 48% cream.  My basic ice cream recipe is milk, cream, sugar, eggs, sugar and salt.  In other words, I'm just a home cook.

39 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this.  However, I don't have a lot of the ingredients you listed and I don't know where I would find 48% cream.  My basic ice cream recipe is milk, cream, sugar, eggs, sugar and salt.  In other words, I'm just a home cook.

I believe those recipes are for intravenous application.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I don't think ice cream requires nearly as many stabilizers or technical ingredients as has become popular in modernist cooking circles unless you're planning on keeping it around for days and days. 

I will say that I usually make something that's a bit less fat than most ice cream recipes, and a good bit more fat than gelato (my standard recipe is 4:2:1 milk:cream:sugar). Gelato typically has quite a bit less milkfat than ice cream. So if you'd like to standardize around, say, 8% or something (which is on the higher end of the gelato range, but still fine, and more forgiving), you could back calculate the rest. Mangoes average around 80% water content, and you can replace any milk proteins / lactose with up to 30g of skim milk powder per 3 or so odd cups of liquid.

How it precisely shakes out will probably depend on just how much mango you feel like you want to incorporate into your base. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the stringiness of mango, I'd just puree it first, but that's a personal decision.

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Thanks 1

I designed this mango sorbet recipe for a client, who was originally using alphonso mangos:

750g Mango—Alphonso        
70g  Water        
40g Inulin        
50g Sucrose        
35g Dextrose        
50g Atomized Glucose DE30        
4.0g Sorbet Stabilizer        
1.0g Salt        

He's had better luck using a commercial frozen mango puree, and then eliminating the water. I haven't tried it myself (not a huge fan of mango sorbet). If you're willing to roll your own stabilizer with CMC, guar, and lambda carrageenan, and if you have access to erythritol and trehalose, you can improve it beyond what's written here. This was the best I could formulate within constraints.

You won't get great results just substituting mangos in a peach recipe. Mangos are much sweeter than peaches and will throw everything off. 

Notes from the underbelly