• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

On 1/9/2021 at 9:11 PM, AAQuesada said:

Speaking of Ice Cream hacks -Has anyone tried the recipe in Jeremy Fox's book On Vegetables? Pretty fantastic and great texture. It's basically whipped cream with condensed milk, vanilla bean and a tablespoon of vodka. Then thrown in the freezer. 

I've used the "no-churn" recipe from a different source, but it's basically the same: equal parts whipped cream and condensed milk plus some flavoring, then freeze. It is a similar but different texture, somewhat lighter than a traditional ice cream, and in my freezer it gets hard enough that it's worth letting it warm up or putting it in the microwave for 20 seconds before scooping. But it is much much better than the results I used to get in an old-time churn, and not a lot inferior to what I get from a frozen-canister ice cream maker. And it is a lot easier than either of those methods.

I find the no-churn approach good for trying out a flavor combination if the flavor can be added with relatively little liquid (Kool-Aid flavors, for instance), but if you have to add more than a small amount of water to get the flavoring in, it can overwhelm the foam of the whipped cream and make the texture harder and less smooth and velvety.

2 hours ago, beauxeault said:

I've used the "no-churn" recipe from a different source, but it's basically the same: equal parts whipped cream and condensed milk plus some flavoring, then freeze.

The ratio is a little different in this recipe, 600ml cream to 400g condensed milk. I do agree that it's a pretty flexible technique to add in mix-ins or ribbons of stuff. He does use the recipe at 1 michelin Rustic Canyon where he could afford an ice cream maker if he wanted. In any case I thought it was tasty. 

1 hour ago, AAQuesada said:

The ratio is a little different in this recipe, 600ml cream to 400g condensed milk. I do agree that it's a pretty flexible technique to add in mix-ins or ribbons of stuff. He does use the recipe at 1 michelin Rustic Canyon where he could afford an ice cream maker if he wanted. In any case I thought it was tasty. 

Yeah, actually after I wrote "equal parts" I realized that I only think of the recipe I use as equal parts because it is one basic container of each. So, 1 pint cream (16 fl. oz) plus 1 can (14 fl. oz.) of condensed milk. Not quite the proportions you mention, but not really 50:50 either.

i can’t imagine why not, really, though i’d probably mix it in by scalding the dairy with it (although probably unnecessary given the blender involved i am suspicious of powder behaviours). 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

hello everyone

has anyone tried making a buttercream frosting into an actual swirl?  any ideas how i can do that?

i want to make a birthday cake ice cream but have an actual buttercream swirl.....do i just make it runny by adding glucose? so it still tastes sweet and buttery but wont turn into hard chunks since its made up of like majority butter

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Ordered today.

Wow.  Let us know!  I haven't done any ice cream in a while.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Wow.  Let us know!  I haven't done any ice cream in a while.

Her mango ice cream was really good.  I couldn't find her recommended brand but the one I did use had a 5% sugar content so not tooth-achingly sweet.

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Is there any reason to not chill the ice cream custard in the freezer?  Assuming you give it the odd stir?

Ice crystals.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2020 at 3:19 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I got an email from Vesta this morning. They are having a 25% off sale on everything they sell including blast chillers,

If only I had waited a month ...

• Sad 1

On 12/31/2020 at 1:48 PM, Lieuwe said:

Two important lessons I've learned until now:

1) keep your batches manageable => small quantities;

2) tell your family a.s.a.p. that the ice cream is ready.

Alternatively, don't tell them. (And eat it all yourself!!)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My first spins of the summer-y-ish season last night:

IMG_4326.thumb.jpeg.dcf45ac401d1047c47443346474f043f.jpeg

Both of them from Jeni's Splendid. 

One the left, The Buckeye State Ice Cream - Honeyed Peanut Ice Cream With Dark Chocolate Freckles.

On the right, Roasted Strawberry & Buttermilk Ice Cream.

Allow me start by saying: her ice creams are so damn sweet. Too damn sweet for me, I think. But the end result, once you get past the tooth shattering sweetness...two pretty lovely ice creams, both in texture and flavor. Happened to have good strawberries, and a brief roasting to concentrate their flavor, made that the favorite of the two.

The peanut butter and chocolate presented the issue of add-ins, as melted and mostly cooled chocolate is supposed to be poured into the machine before the ice cream fully sets, allegedly turning the chocolate into "freckles" during the final few minutes of spinning. With the Whynter machine, spinning was paused and chocolate poured in. The only problem was that the machine then didn't want to spin any more; I'd obviously waited too long to add the chocolate, so I simply smushed it up with a wooden spoon as I was moving the ice cream to its freezer container. Significant Eater was happy, as she got giant hunks of high-quality chocolate in her bowl.

The strawberry buttermilk combo - just great, with that tiny hint of tartness from both the buttermilk and strawberries (along with a bit of lemon juice added to the strawberries when they get blended).  

I could certainly see cutting the sugar by 10 - 20% without a problem, since both cream cheese and cornstarch are used for texture and these had zero crystallization. That may become an experiment soon.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My daughter and SIL get plenty of Jeni's here in Atlanta. I find it far to sweet as well. I sent my husband on a run for Hagen-Dazs coffee at Krogers and all they had were teeny tiny individual servings containers. But he did find some HD cookies and cream, which I rarely buy and it tasted delicious. It's just an ice cream sandwich with less sandwich with a sticky texture. And I mean that in the best way.

Not exactly ice cream but up there at the peak of. best things ever, the twin girls came home yesterday and they are the most beautiful babies I've ever seen. They are buttermilk and strawberry.

But back to ice cream. Buttermilk Strawberry is right in my wheelhouse. We make a really good buttermilk ice cream and when we get back home I am going to add strawberries, roasted. Yesterday I made Gabrielle Hamilton's Strawberry Milk, which uses a ratio of 3 cups whole milk to 1 cup buttermilk to a pound of macerated berries.. Okay so it's not ice cream, but you need a lot of good sustenance when nursing twins. Or to keep you from floating away when you are a new grand parent. Okay, I'm rambling. Rambling is the new cogent.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

My daughter and BIL get plenty of Jeni's here in Atlanta. I find it far to sweet as well. I sent my husband on a run for Hagen-Dazs coffee at Krogers and all they had were teeny tiny individual servings containers. But he did find some HD cookies and cream, which I rarely buy and it tasted delicious. It's just an ice cream sandwich with less sandwich with a sticky texture. And I mean that in the best way.

Not exactly ice cream but up there at the peak of. best things ever, the twin girls came home yesterday and they are the most beautiful babies I've ever seen. They are buttermilk and strawberry.

But back to ice cream. Buttermilk Strawberry is right in my wheelhouse. We make a really good buttermilk ice cream and when we get back home I am going to add strawberries, roasted. Yesterday I made Gabrielle Hamilton's Strawberry Milk, which uses a ratio of 3 cups whole milk to 1 cup buttermilk to a pound of macerated berries.. Okay so it's not ice cream, but you need a lot of good sustenance when nursing twins. Or to keep you from floating away when you are a new grand parent. Okay, I'm rambling. Rambling is the new cogent.

Congratulations!!!!  Yes, I think a lot of ice cream is needed to celebrate!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

The last time we were in Burlington, VT, we went to the original Ben & Jerry's...another ice cream way too sweet for me.

Congrats.

Thanks, and I agree about Ben and Jerry's. We made a recipe from David Lebovitz book and that was too sweet AND too custardy for me. Good god I'm picky. Right now I have a laptop and a baby on my lap. My husband is on a CVS run for syringes and ice cream. This is so surreal! After spending a year and a half in lockdown with every comfort food I need now I'm whining about ice cream. And I should have packed some RG beans in my suitcase.

• Like 2

Did my first spin of the year with some Philly style vanilla with some cryoshattered Snickers shards. It was my father in law’s birthday, and Snickers are his fav. I froze the Snickers bars in liquid nitrogen and bashed them up inside a bag. The size and shape were perfect but, in retrospect, I ended up using too many and the inclusions made the ice cream a bit too chunky for my taste. Luckily I saved half the vanilla base and can use the remainder in moderation as a topping.

Shattered Snickers:

E74F1BEA-8015-4E97-8142-F5FE0B5E1E06.thumb.jpeg.a22317d75590057f98710acaa4ef3b44.jpeg

I didn’t get a good photo of the final plated scoops, but did get a not-so-beautiful shot of the base just before serving.

84CE00DA-E994-4D1C-B5C2-C98635CAD425.thumb.jpeg.fa599f409ea741e226bf9c8180584dfc.jpeg

It was delicious and a good time was had by all.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, weinoo said:

IMG_4340.thumb.jpeg.527526ece65eb473835f676d868540dd.jpeg

Detritus...after these scoops, the rest was washed away to make room for the next, hopefully less sweet, batch.

😳

You threw away homemade ice cream.

I'm going to have to take a valium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Shelby said:

😳

You threw away homemade ice cream.

I'm struck by how much is packed into that deceptively simple, six-word expression of incredulity.

First, it implies a lucid alternative definition of the phrase "empty calories," to wit: "eating something you don't like just because you can't bear to throw it out."

Second, it provides an admirable illustration of the sunk cost fallacy, in its culinary expression, which also boils down to "eating something you don't like just because you can't bear to throw it out."

Speaking as a writer, I can only tip my hat in awe at the marvelous economy and efficiency of your prose. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning