• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 6:10 AM, adey73 said:

@LWB what's the advantage of using both whey and caseinate proteins, don't they do same job?

Not sure - I always have both in the pantry and milk has both proteins.  In theory they denature differently and so perform slightly different jobs, but I have not reliably tested this and suspect the differences are subtle. 

On 3/3/2019 at 1:36 PM, LWB said:

Not sure - I always have both in the pantry and milk has both proteins.  In theory they denature differently and so perform slightly different jobs, but I have not reliably tested this and suspect the differences are subtle. 

The differences are significant, but complex. Most of the research on this seems to be behind closed doors at companies like Haagen Dazs. I think that unless you've found some particular insights on how to work with these proteins separately, and have a strategy in mind, you'd make your life much simpler just by using dry milk powder. 

Notes from the underbelly

• 1 month later...

So, on a whim I bought a new ice cream machine and I want to make some different flavors.

Yesterday I tried my hand with a recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream from the Cusinart recipe booklet that came with the machine,

Sadly, the strawberries had little flavor.  I'm sure that as the berry season progresses the outcome will be better.

Next I want to try to make an Orange Creamsicle ice cream...I remember how good those creamsicles were when I was a kid.

Any one have a recipe for this that tastes like the real thing?

8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm curious - which model of the Cuusinart did you buy?

I got the Cuisinart ICE-100 so I wouldn't have to pre-freeze each bowl.

I tried it out yesterday for the first time with the strawberry recipe.

It churns for quite a long time....the booklet says approx. 50 minutes.  It's kind of loud, like I think all of the machines are.  I've been checking various sites on the web for different recipes but I'm stuck on wanting to make creamsicle flavor.

48 minutes ago, lindag said:

I got the Cuisinart ICE-100 so I wouldn't have to pre-freeze each bowl.

I tried it out yesterday for the first time with the strawberry recipe.

It churns for quite a long time....the booklet says approx. 50 minutes.  It's kind of loud, like I think all of the machines are.  I've been checking various sites on the web for different recipes but I'm stuck on wanting to make creamsicle flavor.

I have the ICE50, the earlier version.  I would like a new one and keep dithering between the ICE 100 and the Breville one.  Did you do any comparison between them?

26 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have the ICE50, the earlier version.  I would like a new one and keep dithering between the ICE 100 and the Breville one.  Did you do any comparison between them?

I read the Amazon reviews which led me to the Cuisinart.  There were actually some who had compared both and preferred the Cuisinart.  I only ever had the small Cusinart ICE-21  about 10 years ago and didn't care for it and gave it away.

I have and recommend the ICE-100.  My advice is to use only about 800 g of mix per batch and to spin for 15 minutes, 20 minutes

maximum.  I get better results with the ice cream paddle rather than with the gelato paddle.  The gelato paddle is supposed to reduce overrun.  Don't forget to run the machine for about 15 minutes to precool before adding the mix.  See the other ice cream threads -- of which there are about four or five going at the moment.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have and recommend the ICE-100.  My advice is to use only about 800 g of mix per batch and to spin for 15 minutes, 20 minutes

maximum.  I get better results with the ice cream paddle rather than with the gelato paddle.  The gelato paddle is supposed to reduce overrun.  Don't forget to run the machine for about 15 minutes to precool before adding the mix.  See the other ice cream threads -- of which there are about four or five going at the moment.

Thanks for the tip about pre-cooling time, I must have missed that when I didn’t read the instructions 😁

• Like 2

On 4/18/2019 at 10:05 AM, lindag said:

So, on a whim I bought a new ice cream machine and I want to make some different flavors.

Yesterday I tried my hand with a recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream from the Cusinart recipe booklet that came with the machine,

Sadly, the strawberries had little flavor.  I'm sure that as the berry season progresses the outcome will be better.

Next I want to try to make an Orange Creamsicle ice cream...I remember how good those creamsicles were when I was a kid.

Any one have a recipe for this that tastes like the real thing?

In reference to the strawberries, I find most all the strawberries  in my markets, Florida  or from California are tasteless.  

• Like 2

Have you thought about pulverizing some freeze dried strawberries to bump up the flavor? (of course it will affect the color, so blah blah blah etc) 

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

I don't know that you're looking for different ice cream recipes, but I thought I'd share this one:

Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream

My mom introduced me to it and it's a big time favorite of ours.  I've never tried it with the Cracker Jacks.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I don't know that you're looking for different ice cream recipes, but I thought I'd share this one:

Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream

My mom introduced me to it and it's a big time favorite of ours.  I've never tried it with the Cracker Jacks.

I have made this recipe too.  It is really good.

• Like 1

Regarding strawberry ice cream, I wouldn't recommend putting in any chunks of strawberry. The chunks turn into veritable ice cubes during the freezing process...not fun to eat! :shock:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

When we used to make ice cream and use any kind of fruit -- watermelon, peaches, strawberries, cherries, what-have-you -- we'd always puree the fruit first. I am personally a major fan of fresh peach ice cream.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 4/22/2019 at 2:28 PM, kayb said:

I am personally a major fan of fresh peach ice cream.

That's my favorite, too! Give me peaches, or nectarines, and the fixings for ice cream and I'm a happy woman.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@lindag  is the recipe you used on page 6 of the manual?  If yes, what was the texture like?  

Yes I used that recipe.

The texture was good although it freezes really hard.  I think I read somewhere that if you add alcohol to the recipe it helps keep it from being quite so hard.  I will try that next time.

Edited by lindag (log)