Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lindag

Ice Cream!

Recommended Posts

So, on a whim I bought a new ice cream machine and I want to make some different flavors.

Yesterday I tried my hand with a recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream from the Cusinart recipe booklet that came with the machine,

Sadly, the strawberries had little flavor.  I'm sure that as the berry season progresses the outcome will be better.

Next I want to try to make an Orange Creamsicle ice cream...I remember how good those creamsicles were when I was a kid.

Any one have a recipe for this that tastes like the real thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious - which model of the Cuusinart did you buy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm curious - which model of the Cuusinart did you buy?

I got the Cuisinart ICE-100 so I wouldn't have to pre-freeze each bowl.

I tried it out yesterday for the first time with the strawberry recipe.

It churns for quite a long time....the booklet says approx. 50 minutes.  It's kind of loud, like I think all of the machines are.  I've been checking various sites on the web for different recipes but I'm stuck on wanting to make creamsicle flavor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, lindag said:

Unfortunately, there's a paywall to get to the recipe.

 

@lindag  check your PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, lindag said:

I got the Cuisinart ICE-100 so I wouldn't have to pre-freeze each bowl.

I tried it out yesterday for the first time with the strawberry recipe.

It churns for quite a long time....the booklet says approx. 50 minutes.  It's kind of loud, like I think all of the machines are.  I've been checking various sites on the web for different recipes but I'm stuck on wanting to make creamsicle flavor.

 

I have the ICE50, the earlier version.  I would like a new one and keep dithering between the ICE 100 and the Breville one.  Did you do any comparison between them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

 

I have the ICE50, the earlier version.  I would like a new one and keep dithering between the ICE 100 and the Breville one.  Did you do any comparison between them?

I read the Amazon reviews which led me to the Cuisinart.  There were actually some who had compared both and preferred the Cuisinart.  I only ever had the small Cusinart ICE-21  about 10 years ago and didn't care for it and gave it away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have and recommend the ICE-100.  My advice is to use only about 800 g of mix per batch and to spin for 15 minutes, 20 minutes

maximum.  I get better results with the ice cream paddle rather than with the gelato paddle.  The gelato paddle is supposed to reduce overrun.  Don't forget to run the machine for about 15 minutes to precool before adding the mix.  See the other ice cream threads -- of which there are about four or five going at the moment.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have and recommend the ICE-100.  My advice is to use only about 800 g of mix per batch and to spin for 15 minutes, 20 minutes

maximum.  I get better results with the ice cream paddle rather than with the gelato paddle.  The gelato paddle is supposed to reduce overrun.  Don't forget to run the machine for about 15 minutes to precool before adding the mix.  See the other ice cream threads -- of which there are about four or five going at the moment.

 

 

Thanks for the tip about pre-cooling time, I must have missed that when I didn’t read the instructions 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2019 at 10:05 AM, lindag said:

So, on a whim I bought a new ice cream machine and I want to make some different flavors.

Yesterday I tried my hand with a recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream from the Cusinart recipe booklet that came with the machine,

Sadly, the strawberries had little flavor.  I'm sure that as the berry season progresses the outcome will be better.

Next I want to try to make an Orange Creamsicle ice cream...I remember how good those creamsicles were when I was a kid.

Any one have a recipe for this that tastes like the real thing?

 

In reference to the strawberries, I find most all the strawberries  in my markets, Florida  or from California are tasteless.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you thought about pulverizing some freeze dried strawberries to bump up the flavor? (of course it will affect the color, so blah blah blah etc) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, yes, I have.  My favorite source for dried fruits and veg. happens to be sold out of strawberries at the moment..

But I will definitely order some when they're back in stock.

North Bay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

I don't know that you're looking for different ice cream recipes, but I thought I'd share this one:

 

Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream

 

My mom introduced me to it and it's a big time favorite of ours.  I've never tried it with the Cracker Jacks.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Shelby said:

 

 

I don't know that you're looking for different ice cream recipes, but I thought I'd share this one:

 

Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream

 

My mom introduced me to it and it's a big time favorite of ours.  I've never tried it with the Cracker Jacks.

 

 

 

I have made this recipe too.  It is really good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With cracker Jacks it would be off the hook delicious 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding strawberry ice cream, I wouldn't recommend putting in any chunks of strawberry. The chunks turn into veritable ice cubes during the freezing process...not fun to eat! :shock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we used to make ice cream and use any kind of fruit -- watermelon, peaches, strawberries, cherries, what-have-you -- we'd always puree the fruit first. I am personally a major fan of fresh peach ice cream.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 2:28 PM, kayb said:

I am personally a major fan of fresh peach ice cream.

 

That's my favorite, too! Give me peaches, or nectarines, and the fixings for ice cream and I'm a happy woman.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×